That dreaded "Pop" sound

/ That dreaded "Pop" sound #1  

housemasters

Was pushing on a small stump that was completely undercut in a sand bank with my TC35DA and 16LA FEL and it was loose, so loader was about hood height and I heard a load "pop" in the front somewhere.
Ended up losing 4WD as a result. Went underneath and checked drive shaft and it all was good. Turning it will make rear wheels move, but not the front. Took drive shaft out, lifted front wheels off the ground and then turned front wheels...no movement of I think its the pinion where the drive shaft hooks up.
I can spin the pinion by hand and of course the front wheels don't move. When I do that it doesn't make any kind of grinding or odd sounds.
So, is it possible that I snapped the pinion in two and the rear part now spins freely?
It works in two wheel drive just fine (except that I slip a lot now :)), so if anyone has had this happen, please tell me. I know I have two take it apart, but would like to hear from the forum first.

Rick

/ That dreaded "Pop" sound #2  
Hit the CNH site and lookup the parts section, and get an exploded diagram of your front end.

good luck

( PS.. cut's aren't great for landclearing.. bulldozers are )

soundguy

/ That dreaded "Pop" sound #3  
I think CNH had a problem with bolts coming loose in differential.

/ That dreaded "Pop" sound #4  
I know of one tc 40 that had the ring gear bolts shear off in the front diff.

/ That dreaded "Pop" sound
Ok, but if bolts came loose or sheared off I would be hearing sounds from the differential right? Been using it in 2WD and I hear nothing at all. Can't take it apart till next week.

/ That dreaded "Pop" sound #6  
If it was my unit; I would not be useing it at all till I took it apart to see what happened; turning the front differential with something broken in it will probably cause more problems and cost of repair.

/ That dreaded "Pop" sound #7  
housemasters said:
Ok, but if bolts came loose or sheared off I would be hearing sounds from the differential right? Been using it in 2WD and I hear nothing at all. Can't take it apart till next week.

I would quit using it immediately. Since you have been using it with no noise, what will you do if you hear more noise? Will you keep going and hope it goes away? Will use turn a repair into a very expensive repair? Something is broken and you know it. If youi keep using it, you don't expect too much mercy from us if it turns out very bad, do you? My vote is to stop using that tractor until you can fix it. The only driving I'd do is onto a trailer to take it to get it fixed or driving it into my shop to fix it myself. Continued use is just "askin' for it."

/ That dreaded "Pop" sound #8  
When I had my TC-30 in the shop for some work the guy there cautioned me on using the loader in 4WD. He said the extra strain on the front end could break the gears. Sounds like what happened to you. :(

/ That dreaded "Pop" sound #9  
I have to agree with DQdave.. and jinman.

This isn't going to 'heal'... while you may get lucky and not do too much more damage to it.. I'm betting not. I'd fix it where it sat if it was convienient.. or take it to my shop.. or the delaer / mechanic of choice.

Soundguy

/ That dreaded "Pop" sound #10  
cautioned me on using the loader in 4WD

Four wheel drive is the only way my tractor works when using the loader. Most of the rest of the time its in four wheel drive too!:D :D