TC21 Battery time, any suggestions?

/ TC21 Battery time, any suggestions? #1  

jeffghs

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland TC21DA
It looks like it is time to replace the battery on my TC21, the current one will not hold a charge and drops down to 10 volts when not maintained by a charger or the tractor running. While running, I am getting 14.3volts which outwardly indicates the charging system is working properly. The eye in the battery is still showing good as are all of the levels in the cells.

Now, for what to replace it with. I have searched and found many indicate going to an Optima or other AGM type battery, the problem is the recommended size 34 will not fit the battery box. I have also seen others recommending a size 24 maint free battery will fit, but by my measurements it is too large. A size 51 is the closest to the original battery size (46b24r (s)). Anyone have any other suggestions. Battery box is 9 1/4 long by 5 1/2 wide.

/ TC21 Battery time, any suggestions? #2  
You might want to do a search in this forum. There have been a lot of threads about this because of the Class II battery problems. An Odyssey battery is what I use.

/ TC21 Battery time, any suggestions?
I did do a search and yes there is plenty available on the Class II boomers with battery issues, which is where I got the info I quoted above. The TC21 is a Class I and apparently has a different size battery box which will not accommodate the same size batteries as a class II, so what have others been using in their class I to replace their stock battery?

/ TC21 Battery time, any suggestions? #4  
I meant do a search to see what brand batteries people are buying, regardless of application. I know a TC21 is a Class I. You've already identified 1 and I provided another. Others have used batteries from TSC. By the way, a group 51 is the only Optima battery that fits in a Class II, except for the Odyssey.

/ TC21 Battery time, any suggestions? #5  
What most are going to are gell cells or AGM type; non vented batteries; these seem to hold up well to tractor conditions. You may want to do a search for gell cell batteries and compare what is available from different companies. My Optima is now 6 years old.

I am mixed between a maintenance free type (cost) vs. AGM (longevity), I have not been able to cross reference an Optima battery to match my stock battery in my tractor. Still from what I can tell a group 51 is closest size match to my stock, and it doesn't appear optima is making that size any more. I have Optima Red tops in my '02 Chevy Duramax and haven't had any problems. I am still hoping someone can confirm the size that will fit my TC21.

/ TC21 Battery time, any suggestions? #8  
jeffghs said:
Still from what I can tell a group 51 is closest size match to my stock, and it doesn't appear optima is making that size any more.
I've read where they just started making them again.

jeffghs said:
I am still hoping someone can confirm the size that will fit my TC21.
The only way you can confirm this is to compare the measurements of the battery to the area it will go.

Click here.

I appreciate the help, it does look like the size 51 optima will fit according to dimensions. other specs match up ok. Stock battery is 325 CCA, 71RM. Optima is 450 CCA and 66RM. I will see if I can find a maintenance free size 51 match and go from there.

/ TC21 Battery time, any suggestions? #10  
Optima just recently began to ship the group 51 size batteries in their Deep Cycle category. I just replaced the factory battery in my TC34 with an Optima D51R and so far, so good. I hope it lasts a long time - for $180, I expect at least 4 years. Not having to worry about the issue of battery acid being spewed on my radiator, front frame, and engine were my priorities.

By the way, if you search around the net and read comments on how these batteries were junk (lots of Miata and Civic owners hated them), that's the reason they quit making them for 2 years.