Tilt Steering Wheel Frozen

/ Tilt Steering Wheel Frozen #1  

lopey2

Tractor
TC33D
Went out to the barn Tuesday morning, cranked up the 33, lifted the lever to bring the steering wheel forward, and the lever would not budge. Tried to loosen it up for about 30 minutes. I called my dealer and his service tech came out...What had happened was, a bit of moisture had got into the strut that moves the tilt back and forth, and it froze up...Temp the night before was down to 23. Has anyone else had this problem...??..Still lovin my Boomer....*grinnin*

/ Tilt Steering Wheel Frozen #2  
I don't know how to link but if you do a search for"Steering shock gave out" you will find info on this problem.

Bill C

/ Tilt Steering Wheel Frozen #3  
Your dealer should replace this cylinder for you NH has upgraded it because of numerous problems!

/ Tilt Steering Wheel Frozen #4  
Are you referring to the tilt of the column or the "extension" of the steering wheel? I have had problems with both!

The tilt not wanting to lock in at various angles - seems to be weather related and what I believe are little dogs that don't engage in their slots when it is cold. The "extension" is basically NFG at this point. I have tried really torqueing the "horn" button both ways to free it up but it is where it is and doesn't want to extend or retract.
Any thoughts on a fix for the extending feature fix?

Couldn't find the thread referred to above.

Thanks, Steve

/ Tilt Steering Wheel Frozen #5  
Steve, that's another one of those "little" irritants. My steering wheel extension is also NFG, except I can put mine about anywhere I want (it won't tighten down). The tilt works perfectly, but the extension is busted in my opinion. Gosh! If they had just included a way to lube the "works" I'd keep it in good shape, but what do you do?/w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

/ Tilt Steering Wheel Frozen #6  
Spencer, or anyone else for that matter, do you know of any reoccuring problems with the steering mechanism down at the wheels. I believe I have a sticking power steering cylinder. When I start to turn to the right, it initially sticks for a split second. My dealer said there was a bulletin on the steering control valve and replaced that, but that had no effect. This only happens on a right turn (cylinder must extend) and gets more noticeable the farther the wheels are positioned to the right when I start the turn. Only once, last spring, did it really seem to lock-up. Otherwise, it just seems to "catch" for a split second. What do you think?

/ Tilt Steering Wheel Frozen #7  
yes we have had one complaint like that did what your dealer did but did not solve the problem. We ended up replacing the steering cylinders and that solved the complaint.

/ Tilt Steering Wheel Frozen #8  
Ok.. what is a NFG?

thanks

Chris

/ Tilt Steering Wheel Frozen #9  
NFG is an adjectival phrase used to describe a part that is no longer good for its intended purpose.

/ Tilt Steering Wheel Frozen #10  
Ahh! gottya.

Thanks,

Chris

"NFG is an adjectival phrase used to describe a part that is no longer good for its intended purpose. "