radiator overflow tube

/ radiator overflow tube #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
My 1920 has the overflow tub aimed right at the engine.. looks factor done...What was NH thinking when they put the radiator overflow tub aimed right down on the engine? What they didn't have enough tube to make it to the fuel tank?
Sounds like some of the same engineers who worked on the boomers 'cut their teeth' on my tractor ...

Chris

/ radiator overflow tube #2  
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

What they didn't have enough tube to make it to the fuel tank?

<hr></blockquote>

Not being all too familiar with the 1920, please bear with me, but why would you want radiator overflow draining to the fuel tank? Antifreeze & water make for a yucky mix with engine oil. =\Later,Jay

/ radiator overflow tube #3  
but why would you want radiator overflow draining to the fuel tank

I think he meant overflow tank

/ radiator overflow tube #4  
Not needed.

Your 1920 should have an overflow tube connecting the radiator to the overflow tank. There is a second short tube connected to the cap of the overflow tank that is essentially just a vent. If the overflow tank is maintained correctly with 2" or so of coolant with a cold engine, the vent tube will NEVER discharge coolant, unless the tractor is severely overheated, or compression enters the cooling system via a blown head gasket or such.

/ radiator overflow tube
""What they didn't have enough tube to make it to the fuel tank?""

Actually it was sarcasm.... Any design that vents coolant on top of the engine is bad.. they might as well routed it to the operator platform, and vent it up at the driver.. makes as much sense.

I realize that the overflow vent will never come into play unless something is very wrong, however look at automoblie designs.... they even vent down away from the engine.
Just my gripe...

Chris