TC40D Hydraulic Pump Repair

/ TC40D Hydraulic Pump Repair #1  

tvanaken

I have a TC40D Hydraulic Pump (3-Point SBA340450991) that has a crack in the metal piece at the front that bolts to power steering pump. Thus leaks oil. See attached picture for the diagram. I went to the dealer today and they don't sell the metal piece that is cracked, only the entire pump for around $600. Anyone have any ideas on how to proceed? I could try to weld but think that would not be strong enough. Can pay the money for a new pump but would prefer to find an alternate approach.

Thanks.

- Troy

Attachments

• TC40D_HydraulicPump.gif
    TC40D_HydraulicPump.gif
    13.7 KB · Views: 2,080
   / TC40D Hydraulic Pump Repair #2  
tvanaken said:
I have a TC40D Hydraulic Pump (3-Point SBA340450991) that has a crack in the metal piece at the front that bolts to power steering pump. Thus leaks oil. See attached picture for the diagram. I went to the dealer today and they don't sell the metal piece that is cracked, only the entire pump for around $600. Anyone have any ideas on how to proceed? I could try to weld but think that would not be strong enough. Can pay the money for a new pump but would prefer to find an alternate approach.

Thanks.

- Troy

Troy. Welcome to TBN Blue.:)

This My hyd pump removed from Ford 1700.

dsc04397dt4.jpg

Pump disassembly:

dsc04405qh5.jpg

The front plate showing the main shaft and seal:

dsc04407rj4.jpg

New pump seal kit being put in with new seal shaft. It is easy to see that excess localized heat can damage the seals.

dsc04424ql9.jpg

Need to verify for sure point of leakage and crack. The component pieces are made out of good quality aluminum and machined to a very close tolerance. Can't put too much heat and parts may warp. Welding aluminum is "whole different bowl of wax". If you are up to it may be easier tigged than migged using proper shielding gas, may damage seal while welding. Anything you do need to be done with damaged part completely isolated in my opinion to safeguard the rest. If available another used pump preferably " defective" can be used to salvage off needed part. I don't reckon you can weld the crack with the pump on the tractor... nothing else it is very dangerous.

JC,

Last edited:
   / TC40D Hydraulic Pump Repair #3  
tvanaken said:

Troy, is the oil leaking engine oil or hydraulic oil? I think what is broken is just the mounting flange and it is probably low pressure engine oil that is leaking. I'd be tempted to take it off, clean it up very well, and use some JB Weld to see if I could not put it back and stop the leak. You can't do any worse than have it not work and have to do a replacement later on. Since the pump is so easy to get to, I think I'd give it a try. Finding something to get all the oil out of the crack might be a challenge.

I'm only suggesting this if it is engine oil leaking from the drive gear. If it is hydraulic oil, I'd replace it and hang onto the old one for spare parts.

How did it get broken? Did a tree branch or something bump the pump or piping and stress the mounting flange?

/ TC40D Hydraulic Pump Repair #4  
Troy, if just the ear is broke, try and see if you can make a custom washer, that you can then sandwhich the pumps to get her with. Just go over the crack with the washer, and tighten the entire unit to the power steering pump.i think tha tepoxy jst might not hold up to a torqueing, and the riggers of operation.

/ TC40D Hydraulic Pump Repair #5  
Look for a used pump that has a good needed piece. Dealer may have one laying around or try ebay.