Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B3030HSDC

Default FORD 4000 Valve Adjustment

Greetings-A friends neighbor dropped off his !966 Ford 4000 diesel for a general service job,which I can do this winter in my spare(?) time. I owe my friend big time,so I'll make the time for it. The usual-oil change,coolant exchange,grease,fuel filters,new tie rod end,new lower radiator hose heater,etc. The unit has about 3200 hours. Going through the owners manual,it calls for a valve adjustment every 600 hours. No one can remember this ever being done. I notice the procedure given has the rockers adjusted with the engine warmed up and running. Can't say as I've ever run into this before,and am not sure it has to be done this way.
    Can anyone comment on this-do it running or stationary? Also,the loader is still on it,and it looks like a pain to remove. Will I have room to get the required services performed?
    Thank you in advance for your responses.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Default Re: FORD 4000 Valve Adjustment

Reccomend you check with your friend to see if he either has the I&T F service manual.. or the ford shop service manual... either should work for cook-book valve job info.

the loader might make this a pain..

I&T F0-31 after market service manual
    Ford New Holland 2000, 3000, 4000 models prior to 1975 repair manual by Clymer

Or the shop manual by ford:
    Ford Tractor Service Manual - Series 2000-7000 1965-1975

soundguy
    Last edited by Soundguy; 02-14-2008 at 10:27 AM.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Ford 4000; Ford 2000(both 3cyl.);JD40; 2004 Kubota L4300; 2006 Kubota B7610; new 2007 Kubota MX5000

Dunno about the 4000, never adjusted mine. Maybe I should.

Used to adjust valve lash on old Chevy stovebolt sixes while they were warmed up and running. The ones from the early 50s had solid lifters.

Wasn't hard; was kinda messy. You set them to have some resistance to moving the feeler gauge while on the loose or low part of the cam lobe. Of course it would tighten up considerably when the cam opened the valve, so there was little chance for confusion.

In order to get the feeler gauge between the valve stem and the rocker arm to begin with, the clearance had to be extra loose. I always tried to err in the direction of too much clearance as opposed to too little. Not sure if diesels are the same.
    FWIW
    Bob
    New Kidz: '04 L4300 w/BH-90X, '06 B7610, '07 MX5000 Old Pros: '75 Ford 4000, '54 JD40

Romans 8:28

Tractor
    Ford 1700, Kubota MX-4700

Quote Originally Posted by number two
    Greetings-A friends neighbor dropped off his !966 Ford 4000 diesel for a general service job,which I can do this winter in my spare(?) time. I owe my friend big time,so I'll make the time for it. The usual-oil change,coolant exchange,grease,fuel filters,new tie rod end,new lower radiator hose heater,etc. The unit has about 3200 hours. Going through the owners manual,it calls for a valve adjustment every 600 hours. No one can remember this ever being done. I notice the procedure given has the rockers adjusted with the engine warmed up and running. Can't say as I've ever run into this before,and am not sure it has to be done this way.
    Can anyone comment on this-do it running or stationary? Also,the loader is still on it,and it looks like a pain to remove. Will I have room to get the required services performed?
    Thank you in advance for your responses.

I had the same issue with my 1700. I have a link below with bunch of good info that guys shared. bottom line, doing hot can be done but quite messy. Doing it cold much easier and clean. There were recommendation on types of tools to use to do it with the engine running. I ended up bringing each piston TDC with the cold engine, measured the gap with feeler gage and the measurement was up to par with the specs and that's where I stopped. I did not want to dork it up as the engine sounded fine and no lifter noise was evident even when I used my automotive stethoscope to take a listen

JC,

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/n...ment-my-f.html
    Ford 1700, 2wd.
    Kubota MX-4700DT, Gear transmission with LA 884 loader, Q/A and HD bucket.
    60" Woods Rotary Cutter, home made (3-pt boom and a Row Hipper) ,King Kutter( 5 ft Tiller,Middle Buster,Single Row Cultivator,Carry-all, 5 ft blade, 6 ft Landscaping Rake ,30" Dirt Scoop and a 4'x4' Drag Harrow)

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B3030HSDC

Gentlemen-thank you for your replys. Per your suggestions,I called the guy and he brought me over the I&T manual. Why didn't he bring it first time? Anyhow,it gives a stationary procedure,#1TDC-adjust 3 valves,turn 360-adjust the other 3. I just knew there was a way.Although if it looks too tough with the loader on,I'll have him bring it back someday with it off.
    JC-jetro,very interesting thread about valve adjustment. Reminds me of rebuilding small block Chevy engines-always had good luck with the static adjustment on the engine stand-those rockers squirting oil all over the engine compartment. And those clips flying off-AH!
    Geez,TBN is not only a great place for information,it also provides great memories. Thank again guys.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

I knew the manuals would help ya.. I got them setting here and they both have a valve adjust procedure in them.. etc..

soundguy