Oil & Fuel Small Loader for Ford 3000 Gas

/ Small Loader for Ford 3000 Gas #1  

jascott

Looking to add a small loader for a Ford 3000 gas tractor. I have read this is not the best tractor to put a loader on, but it is what we have and it won't get much use.

We would like to use the loader to move some gravel and dirt - to level areas and fix roads. It would see perhaps a few hours of use per month during the warmer months and be removed from the tractor for regular bush-hog use.

Suggestions for a loader to mount to the tractor? I would prefer a USA made loader and don't mind buying used.

Regarding the hydraulics - Can I share the existing hydraulic pump to run the FEL and 3 Point? I see a part DGPNB950S1 Kit which seems like it might be work with a FEL?

Thanks,
JS

/ Small Loader for Ford 3000 Gas #2  
Your comments are correct. For the best performance out of a loader on that tractor model, you'd want to look for a unit with smaller cylinders for increased loader speeds. You indicated light general use, so a 1600# lift capacity (2" cylinders) should be fine for anything you need to do. If you go to a 2 1/2" cylinder you'll get closer to 3000# lift capacity, just slower.

If you will be taking it off and on frequently, you need to view the power-mount video online. Lets you dismount or mount in 2 minutes or less without any tools or stands. It can be dismounted in the grass, pretty much anywhere, doesn't have to be on concrete. http://www.loaders.com/userdocs/products/02_WindowsMedia_-_Low_Bandwidth.wmv

I sounds like there was some variance in size of hydraulic pumps on this model, you'll want to measure gpm. The smaller loader comes with the valve, joystick and plumbing kit for installation. It is an option on larger units. Westendorf is Made in the USA, Iowa to be specific.

Attachments

• TA-160-FORD-3000.jpg
    TA-160-FORD-3000.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 8,060
   / Small Loader for Ford 3000 Gas #3  
JS, most of those shared the hydraulic pump although the hydraulics on those tractors was not a strong point. To look at others you might notice that they used a front pump to power the loader.

/ Small Loader for Ford 3000 Gas #4  
Other loader alternatives are Rhino, Koyker, Bush Hog, Great Bend, Woods, probably more that I can't think of right now.

/ Small Loader for Ford 3000 Gas #5  
For limited use, a loader shouldn't be too bad on that tractor.

here's my 2 cents.

Locate a ford 711 or ford 722 1-arm loader and bracket kit. Be aware thatt he ford 711/722 were made in 2 versions.. ones for the 3 cyl, and ones for the 4 cyl tractors. The big difference is the box that the brackets pin to onthe laoder frame.. the 4 cyl box is 5" long from edge to mount post, the 3 cyl boxes are 3.5" from edge to mount post.

They will break out 3000# and lift 1200#... Have a SA lift cyl, and a DA bucket cyl, though you can find them with a trip bucket and a SA lift cyl.

If you want a quick detach loader, then power it from tractor hyds. You can buy a dual valve kit for the tractor hyd top cover for about 700$.. it will have (2) DA ports on it, and one of them can be set to operate as SA/fast drop.. this works great for the 1-arm loader. Put QD's onthe valve hose stubs, so that way you have use of 2-remotes when the laoder is not on.

Loader has 3 brackets... small one under the tranny, one on the bellhousing, and one under the front axle. the front axle, and the under tranny one could be torched out of 3/8 and 1/2" plate if need be. The 'hip' bellhousing bracket will be harder to find.. but you see them on ebay... must look for the 3-cyl model though..

unit can be installed in 10 minutes or less.

Trip loader is even easier / cheaper... you remove the test plug from t he hyd cover option port and plumb a hose from there to the SA lift cyl... then chain your upper lift arms to the axles, and use the 3pt lift control to raise / lower the loader..

here's a pic of my ford 660 with 722 loader

soundguy

jascott said:
Looking to add a small loader for a Ford 3000 gas tractor. I have read this is not the best tractor to put a loader on, but it is what we have and it won't get much use.

We would like to use the loader to move some gravel and dirt - to level areas and fix roads. It would see perhaps a few hours of use per month during the warmer months and be removed from the tractor for regular bush-hog use.

Suggestions for a loader to mount to the tractor? I would prefer a USA made loader and don't mind buying used.

Regarding the hydraulics - Can I share the existing hydraulic pump to run the FEL and 3 Point? I see a part DGPNB950S1 Kit which seems like it might be work with a FEL?

Thanks,
JS

Attachments

• frvwhr.JPG
    frvwhr.JPG
    179.2 KB · Views: 4,099
   / Small Loader for Ford 3000 Gas #6  
JS, it would pay to be conservative in the lifting ability of whatever loader you put on the 3000. By that I mean, don't ask it to lift a lot. 1200# to 1500# would seem to be about the maximum. Remember that loaders weren't as common when the 3000 was built and the front end may not have been built tough enough to stand up to the loads imposed by a really strong FEL. That, plus over the years those front spindles have probably taken their share of jolts and shocks and may already be fatigued or cracked.

Years ago I had a front spindle break while using a loader on an Oliver 55. The tractor wasn't that old at the time, but it was possible to see that there had been a pre-existing crack at the failure point. As it happened, the only damage was to the spindle, but it could've been much worse.

Comparing what I remember of the 55 and what I see on my Ford 2000 to what's on my Kubota, it becomes clear that modern tractors are designed with loaders in mind while most of the older tractors were not.

BTW a company called Kelley made a two arm loader that fit the old 3 cylinder 2000s and 3000s. My uncle had one on his tractor for years and gave it to me when he traded the tractor. I never put it on my 2000 and the frame finally disappeared in a cleanup. It had the smaller diameter cylinders on the lift arms and a small trip bucket, as I remember. Don't think it could've handled more than 1200#. You might be able to find one used.
FWIW
Bob

/ Small Loader for Ford 3000 Gas #7  
WOW! I've never seen anything like that one armed loader! - I have to send this to the owner. Looks like a great set up! Nice looking tractor Soundguy.

The 3000# lift capacity is only offered on the Ford 3000 with the Type 3 frame. I show there were two different frame styles available on that tractor. Style 3 is quite a bit heavier.

/ Small Loader for Ford 3000 Gas #8  
Westendorf-RR said:
WOW! I've never seen anything like that one armed loader! - I have to send this to the owner. Looks like a great set up! Nice looking tractor Soundguy.

The 3000# lift capacity is only offered on the Ford 3000 with the Type 3 frame. I show there were two different frame styles available on that tractor. Style 3 is quite a bit heavier.

I've got 3 of those loaders now... The 1955 ford 660 you saw has the 722, I also have a near identical looking ford 1955 850 with a 711 1-arm laoder with a dirt bucket.. the 660 has the maneur bucket.

I also have just picked up a ford 951 trike ( 1958 ) and the pieces to a 711 trip loader that i will assemble all together when i get the tractor refurbished.

I like those loaders... they were made to work on the 4 and 3 cyls fords.. and will handle anything the tractor wants to handle.

Here isa pic of me moving hay round bales on my 660 and 850... ain't nuttin' weak about them. 850 has wide 4-rib tires and handled it good.. the 660 has narrow 3-rib tires and they sunk into the pasture and left inverted 'railroad' tracks over to the cow pen.. thus i only move hay with the 850 now ;)

Soundguy

Attachments

• 660hay.jpg
    660hay.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 2,639
  • 850hay.jpg
    850hay.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 1,741
   / Small Loader for Ford 3000 Gas #9  
Bob_Young said:
JS, it would pay to be conservative in the lifting ability of whatever loader you put on the 3000. By that I mean, don't ask it to lift a lot. 1200# to 1500# would seem to be about the maximum. Remember that loaders weren't as common when the 3000 was built and the front end may not have been built tough enough to stand up to the loads imposed by a really strong FEL. That, plus over the years those front spindles have probably taken their share of jolts and shocks and may already be fatigued or cracked.

Years ago I had a front spindle break while using a loader on an Oliver 55. The tractor wasn't that old at the time, but it was possible to see that there had been a pre-existing crack at the failure point. As it happened, the only damage was to the spindle, but it could've been much worse.

Comparing what I remember of the 55 and what I see on my Ford 2000 to what's on my Kubota, it becomes clear that modern tractors are designed with loaders in mind while most of the older tractors were not.

BTW a company called Kelley made a two arm loader that fit the old 3 cylinder 2000s and 3000s. My uncle had one on his tractor for years and gave it to me when he traded the tractor. I never put it on my 2000 and the frame finally disappeared in a cleanup. It had the smaller diameter cylinders on the lift arms and a small trip bucket, as I remember. Don't think it could've handled more than 1200#. You might be able to find one used.
FWIW
Bob

I bought a NEW 3000 gasser in 1974 (1973 model though) It ended up with a New (at that time) Kelly loader on it. (Kelly is now KMC) It was my one and only loader tractor for 32 years. The loader had it's limitations, but that still managed to trash the front axle over time. Poor thing had a major sag going when I finally gave up on it. I took the loader off, sold the tractor, found a decent 3000 diesel (1972 model) and put the loader on it. And that was sold about this time last year. The old Kelly loader was on it's way to wearing out a second tractor. This one had a hydraulic bucket, albiet a single cylinder. Mine would lift enough to get the rear end light. From my experience, you wouldn't want a high capacity loader on that tractor. The front axle just isn't up to handling serious weight.

/ Small Loader for Ford 3000 Gas
Thanks for all the replys. I hadn't checked the forum for a few days. What a bunch of great information! I've also never seen a single life loader...

I am somewhat refurbishing the tractor right now. I'll hopefully be ready to work on the loader next month sometime.

If I could move a smaller load of dirt and perhaps spread it around, I'd be happy. Hopefully a few hours per month won't be too much for this old tractor.

I'll be replacing the wheel bearings on the front and a few seals around the steering pieces. The only other thing that somewhat concerns me is the Radius Rod Assy (New Holland #82847577/8) seem to have several very small cracks running from left to right on both sides.

Thanks Again!