Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    New Holland TC45 Shuttle

Default Would loaded rear tires hurt/help you going down a steep hill

I can see that the liquid would actually be pulling?? you down the hill rather than holding you to it.

Is my logic right?

My buddy's with the TC35's bush hog on pretty steep banks and we were having this debate the other night....
    TC45 Shuttle, 270 hours, 758C backhoe, 16LA loader

Well, I looks like I just bought myself a lot of work.....

Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

Default Re: Would loaded rear tires hurt/help you going down a steep hill

Quote Originally Posted by Flatheadyoungin
    I can see that the liquid would actually be pulling?? you down the hill rather than holding you to it.
    It does both. All weight wherever placed pulls you down the hill. Weight also increases traction proportionally so that you can resist sliding down. Weight applied as far uphill as possible helps prevent tipping downhill. Loaded rears help agreat deal when you are driving forward down a hill--and in many other cases as well.
    larry

Tractor
    New Holland TC45 Shuttle

that all makes sense......

thanks for the input....

Quote Originally Posted by SPYDERLK
    It does both. All weight wherever placed pulls you down the hill. Weight also increases traction proportionally so that you can resist sliding down. Weight applied as far uphill as possible helps prevent tipping downhill. Loaded rears help agreat deal when you are driving forward down a hill--and in many other cases as well.
    larry

Tractor
    New Holland TC29DA, John Deere 455D

Weighted rears add to overall stability especially if you are rotary cutting sloped areas. Jay
    NH TC29DA with 14LA and HD QA 60" bucket, weighted R-1's, FOPS, CCM M-160 (58") Tiller, Tebben MD 60" Rotary Cutter, Woods LR 108 (96") Landscape Rake, FEL cutting edge and tooth bar, Woods GB60 (60") Box Blade, Wallenstein BXM32

1995 John Deere 455 Diesel with 48" mower, MC 519 Cart with PowerVac

Tractor
    New Holland TC45 Shuttle

we thought this but then was thinking that the water is on the bottom of the tire when you are on flat ground......however, when you are going down a steep hill, the water is actually forward in the tires and would move the center of gravity up slightly..

maybe that's too much thought

Quote Originally Posted by jbrumberg
    Weighted rears add to overall stability especially if you are rotary cutting sloped areas. Jay

Tractor
    Kubota L3400 HST

Too much thought. Have another and don't worry.
    Colorado Stan
    Kubota L3400HST, FEL, Rear Blade, Box Blade, Snow Blower, Brush Mower, Tooth Bar, Ballast Block, Still looking?

Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

Quote Originally Posted by Flatheadyoungin
    we thought this but then was thinking that the water is on the bottom of the tire when you are on flat ground......however, when you are going down a steep hill, the water is actually forward in the tires and would move the center of gravity up slightly..

maybe that's too much thought
    Loaded tires add more weight to the very lowest part of the tractor, below the wheel axle. the tire is just filled to above the rim, so there is much more weight below the axle than above. Also, consider that loaded tires do not add weight to the axle. All the weight is on the tire so no stress is added to the running gear of the tractor. The only time loaded tires don't help is when you are in the mud and need flotation more than weight.
    Jim

Silver Member

If by running gear, you mean the suspension and bearings, yes. The drivetrain and braking fully see that additional weight and the momentum that it created. Roll a empty and full 55 gallon drum up or down a hill or stop one from rolling. How steep is steep? As the slope increases the water will distribute in a manner already mentioned, more going above the axle until you reach a point at vertical that the liquid weight would exert no force to the ground but only downhill! (now that is steep!) Once at that point, loss of tracton may be one of your smaller concerns

Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by jinman
    Loaded tires add more weight to the very lowest part of the tractor, below the wheel axle. the tire is just filled to above the rim, so there is much more weight below the axle than above. Also, consider that loaded tires do not add weight to the axle. All the weight is on the tire so no stress is added to the running gear of the tractor. The only time loaded tires don't help is when you are in the mud and need flotation more than weight.
    I know what you mean, but for newer initiates - fluid fill is recommended at a 75-80% fill. This is a fill to above the top side of the rim. Many reasons are given for this level - - exclude O2 from the rim, max weight while leaving some compressibility, limit sloshing/ballast shift/surge of lower fills, etc. The axle of the tire/wheel is below the tractor CG so even completely full tires will lower the combined CG. The tractor CG will be lowered most by tires about 1/2 full, since all the added weight is far below the tractor CG. This would be a good choice for ambidextrous cross slope work, were it not for possible sloshing effects. These front/back shifts are inconsequential in my experience on the cross slope, but will come into play on up/down slope. Since the ballast is mobile a partially filled tire/wheel lets the ballast run to the downhill side. When veiwed from the plane of the tractor the wonderfully lowered CG of partial fill is lessened by the ballast movement - the ballast 'rises' toward the plane that passes thru the tractor CG. This counters some of the benefit of the ballast ability to prevent a downward tip. When the tires are full, or near so, the ballast can be treated as if it is centered ON the axle - a part of the tractor, but as mentioned not supported by the running gear.
    larry

Tractor
    New Holland TC45 Shuttle

Maybe we were right in our thinking...

I wasn't sure how much they actually fill your tires. If like Jinman said- bottom of the rim- then it would help. If, they fill them more towards the top, then on a steep grade it would actually hurt your center of gravity.......

One of the fellas I know, cuts some VERY steep hills. As a matter of fact, I told him the other evening, "Man, I don't like it when people tell me what to do but be careful on those creek banks. You've got some little kids counting on you...."

He says he grew up cutting steep banks and has just kind of gotten used to it......says that he doesn't push in the clutch or use the brakes when he starts to slide. He just kind of goes with it and doesn't try to fight it at all......

Luckily, if we aquire the 40 acres we're looking at, it's almost all flat.....except the wooded areas and the only time I'll be in there is to maybe do some select cutting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast