TRACTOR BEEN SITTING CLUTCH WILL NOT RELEASE

/ TRACTOR BEEN SITTING CLUTCH WILL NOT RELEASE #1  

GOBLUEGO

I have a Model NH TC 35A, year 2004, 400 hrs, I just purchased it. Previous owner said it had been sitting out in the open for about 6 months and it had stuck on him before and was able to get it released by placing it against a tree with the clutch disengaged. I tried this but got very little traction, but will try it again if its a procedure that will work. Don't like putting that much pressure and strain on the bucket and tractor. Worst case what amount $$$ am I looking at if it has to be torn down and repaired? Any help will be appreciated. I am a newbee here and also a first owner of a tractor. Bought tractor to cut and maintain grass on about 25 acres, any recommendations on what type of mower would work best with this tractor to reduce mowing time.

Thanks,

/ TRACTOR BEEN SITTING CLUTCH WILL NOT RELEASE #2  
Well, on a motorcycle, you would put the bike in gear and give it a good shove to break the plates loose (on wet clutch units). If no one's around to help and you can't do it alone (bulk, or flat ground), you would start it in gear with the brakes on (or try).

So I guess you could try the latter. If this is a wet clutch (presumably) I would see what it takes to check/change the clutch fluid. If it isn't a wet clutch, sounds like it might get real $$$.

/ TRACTOR BEEN SITTING CLUTCH WILL NOT RELEASE #3  
I'm trying to imagine how you would go about putting it up against a tree to unstick it . Presumably he started it in gear and away he went , lined up the tree and charged it . What would he have done if it did'nt free up , take too long to stop the engine , he'd either be digging some holes or climbing the tree . The safest way i can think of is to get a few of your mates around and have them rock it back and forth while you sit on it with the clutch pedal depressed and in high gear (maybe third) . Using the backlash of the drivetrain to shock it free . It will cost a slab of beer but wont wreck your loader . Towing with a car will probably only drag the wheels and pulling it backwards will result in a dangerous wheelstand .

/ TRACTOR BEEN SITTING CLUTCH WILL NOT RELEASE #4  
How about blocking the clutch pedal in the depressed position and letting it sit for a little while? Ford (back when they built the NH xx20 line of tractors) use to supply a little block of maple wood to put under the platform to hold the pedal down for long storage periods. Maybe this and then rocking or otherwise shocking the drivetrain, lightly of course.

/ TRACTOR BEEN SITTING CLUTCH WILL NOT RELEASE #5  
If accessible spray it with kerosene. It will penetrate the rust in a day or two, free the disk, and the clutch will not slip when freed. I have towed both trucks & tractors with stuck clutches, just remember once started they won't stop if the clutch doesn't free up. MikeD74T

/ TRACTOR BEEN SITTING CLUTCH WILL NOT RELEASE #6  
MikeD74T said:
If accessible spray it with kerosene. It will penetrate the rust in a day or two, free the disk, and the clutch will not slip when freed. I have towed both trucks & tractors with stuck clutches, just remember once started they won't stop if the clutch doesn't free up. MikeD74T

Might try this on the MF1040 w/stuck clutch-- can't hurt (rebuild is way expensive for MFs). MF has a hook to hold down the clutch pedal to keep the dry clutch separated from the pressure plate. Of course I read about this hook *after* the clutch was frozen....:(

The only way I could see getting to a tree is to either get dragged there (neutral still works), by griinnnnddddiiiiiiiiinnnnnggggggggggggggg the gears until the tractor moved, or maybe by defeating the neutral lock out for starting.

/ TRACTOR BEEN SITTING CLUTCH WILL NOT RELEASE #7  
It is possible that it is not the plate stuck to the flywheel , i have also seen the spline on the clutch hub stick to the input shaft spline which wont allow the plate to move away .

/ TRACTOR BEEN SITTING CLUTCH WILL NOT RELEASE #8  
On old fords we block the clutch for a couple days, and then if that don't do it.. we roll it out into the pasture, leave the clutch blocked.. start it in mid range gear low throttle, and drive in tight figure 8's, hitting hte brake pedal for the outside tire off an on.

can also hook up a pto load and then hit the key a few times while the clutch is blocked... works on single and dual clutches.. but not on independents usually.

soundguy

/ TRACTOR BEEN SITTING CLUTCH WILL NOT RELEASE
Problem solved, With the clutch padel blocked down, I managed to get the tractor in high range fourth gear while going down a hill on smooth pavement. When the tractor leveled off and started up a small incline, the clutch disengaged. Was a good feeling when the clutch disengaged was looking at large $$$ to have it torn down and repaired. Thanks everyone.

/ TRACTOR BEEN SITTING CLUTCH WILL NOT RELEASE #10  
I'll bet that was a sigh of relief

Question, I'd always heard blocking the clutch open for extended time would weaken the pressure plate, which is the lesser risk?