Oil & Fuel TC33DA Leaking Oil

/ TC33DA Leaking Oil #1  

Ramstack

I have a TC33DA that I purchased new and currently has 280 hours on it. I have a front end loader, mid-mount mower deck and backhoe for it. All NH equipment. I have a Berlon plow that I run on the loader in the winter time.

This winter I started to notice oil leaking from where a cotter pin hangs down towards the rear of the chassis. Oil was also leaking through a tapped hole in the chassis not too far from the cotter pin. It is hydraulic oil.

I took it to the dealer where I purchased the equipment from and they currently have the tractor split into several pieces. I haven't heard from them regarding specifics yet but I recently found this site and was curious as to if anybody else out there has had a similar problem.

It wasn't dumping a ton of oil out but overnight it would leaving about a 4" in diameter wet spot which obviously isn't good.

The estimate that I got for the work was for $1600+ depending on what they find. I was pretty shocked when I heard that number. Especially since there are only 280 hours on the tractor and the initial cost of the tractor. I guess I had a little higher expectations for the equipment. This is my first tractor so when they mentioned about most likely having to split the tractor to find it, I was a little hesitant to try and take that activity on myself.

Until now it has been a very nice piece of equipment for me. Wish the backhoe could dig a little deeper but everything has done everything I have ever needed to do with it.

I still owe quite a bit on the equipment which makes it even more painful to think that I might be needing to shell out $2000 for repairs.

Thanks in advance for the thoughts or input.

/ TC33DA Leaking Oil #2  
Wow, sorry to hear about your dilemma. I have a 2002 TC33D with over 300 hours on it. I've occasionally noticed a small 1-2" diameter puddle from the "Cotter Pin" area on mine. I thought I remembered asking my dealer about it and they didn't think it was too big of a deal.

Hopefully someone with more experience can give us an indication of why oil would be coming from this area and how much is too much.

/ TC33DA Leaking Oil #3  
Is this cotter pin located at the bottom of the clutch housing? or further back on the tractor?

/ TC33DA Leaking Oil #4  
I'm sorry I'm not that familiar as to where the clutch housing is on my tractor. If I get a chance tonight I'll try and take a picture of the area showing where the cotter pin hangs through the hole and kinda flops around.

/ TC33DA Leaking Oil #5  
Generally, cotter pins dangling from casting aft of the engine are there to keep holes open so oil can drain. if it is the clutch bellhousing, it will be to allow oil to seeap out that may have come from a rear main seal, or a tranny input shaft seal.

Ford did this as far back as 1939.

On an old ford.. if the trans input shaft seal leaks, you split it and replaced a seal and a gasket and slapped it back together... less than 10$ in parts!

Good luck..

Soundguy

/ TC33DA Leaking Oil #6  
Here is a picture of my cotter pin location.

Attachments

• Cotter Pin-3.JPG
    Cotter Pin-3.JPG
    251.9 KB · Views: 937
   / TC33DA Leaking Oil #7  
That is a tell tale hole . It is there to tell you that a seal is leaking , the cotter pin just stops it from clogging by way of jigaling (sp?) If the oil is black it is comming from the rear main oil seal at the back of the engine . If it's clear it's comming from the input shaft of the gearbox , and yes it is something to worry about .

/ TC33DA Leaking Oil #8  
That casing with the cotter key (NH calls it a "split pin") is the clutch casing. If you go to newholland.com/na and click on "Parts and Service" on the left hand side of the page, you can enter your tractor model (TC33DA) and see the parts catalog. Choose "Transmission" and you will have many more subcategories. Pick "03.03 Clutch and Clutch Housing W/HST". Item #12 is your cotter key and you can see all the parts in the casing. Choose additional drawings to see the other transmission sections. It's fun and educational to see what is inside those casings.:)

/ TC33DA Leaking Oil #9  
Ramstack said:
I have a TC33DA that I purchased new and currently has 280 hours on it. I have a front end loader, mid-mount mower deck and backhoe for it. All NH equipment. I have a Berlon plow that I run on the loader in the winter time.

This winter I started to notice oil leaking from where a cotter pin hangs down towards the rear of the chassis. Oil was also leaking through a tapped hole in the chassis not too far from the cotter pin. It is hydraulic oil.

I took it to the dealer where I purchased the equipment from and they currently have the tractor split into several pieces. I haven't heard from them regarding specifics yet but I recently found this site and was curious as to if anybody else out there has had a similar problem.

It wasn't dumping a ton of oil out but overnight it would leaving about a 4" in diameter wet spot which obviously isn't good.

The estimate that I got for the work was for $1600+ depending on what they find. I was pretty shocked when I heard that number. Especially since there are only 280 hours on the tractor and the initial cost of the tractor. I guess I had a little higher expectations for the equipment. This is my first tractor so when they mentioned about most likely having to split the tractor to find it, I was a little hesitant to try and take that activity on myself.

Until now it has been a very nice piece of equipment for me. Wish the backhoe could dig a little deeper but everything has done everything I have ever needed to do with it.

I still owe quite a bit on the equipment which makes it even more painful to think that I might be needing to shell out $2000 for repairs.

Thanks in advance for the thoughts or input.

When I had fluid leaking there, it was from the HST pump seal. It was replaced by my dealer under warranty, but kept weeping.

/ TC33DA Leaking Oil #10  
thclimer said:
Here is a picture of my cotter pin location.
That particular cotter pin is located in the front transmission case, which houses the HST transmission. So I believe, like Kris said..."When I had fluid leaking there, it was from the HST pump seal. It was replaced by my dealer under warranty, but kept weeping." the HST pump or trans is leaking.

As for your question of how much is too much? If you only have an occasional 1-2" spot, and it doesn't appear to be getting worse, it should be fine as long as you keep an eye on the hydro fluid level. Your dealer may have told you it's no big deal because it will require splitting the tractor to repair. Kris also mentioned his leak was repaired once and it still leaked. I'm guessing here, but...Maybe your dealer has BTDT once or twice already and doesn't want to deal with it??

When did it start leaking? How may hours when you first noticed? The reason I ask is because I have a TC24DA that leaked a 1-2" spot the first day I had it. Brand new, with only a couple hours on it. Each time I used it , it got worse. Shortly after, we got hit with a major snow storm and I spent a few hours plowing my driveway. Parked it in the garage and next AM there was a spot 1-2' (yes feet, not inches) wide. Didn't even make it to 10 hours and I had a minor leak turn major!

Split the tractor and repaired it myself...the input shaft was leaking, which is located in the clutch housing, directly behind the engine. 350 hours later...dry as a bone, no leak whatsoever. Yours is located further back and requires further disassembly to access.