TC33D low power help

/ TC33D low power help #1  

JBob

Bronze Member
I bought a TC33D new in '02. Tractor has had very few problems. I perform the maintenance myself based on the recommended schedule. I went from a Ford 601 Workmaster to this tractor. I have always felt the TC33D was weak on power but I just contributed it to the Hydrostatic drive. This week I drove a Kubota 2910 hydro that is the same year as my TC33D. Boy was I surprised. The 2910 had same setup that I have, FEL, MMM, R4's. The Kubota felt like it had twice the power. They were using it to mow hills in medium that I know I would have to go to low to climb. All filters and fluids have been changed. When mowing or doing loader work I always run the tractor at 2500RPMS. It is very easy to stall out. I really have to work the pedal to get the job done. Tractor really struggles to pull a 12" plow or 6' disc. I have taken it back to my local dealer but they have a terrible service dept. They said they found no problems. I don't have another TC33D around to compare it to and it's hard to tell any difference when driving one on a dealer lot.

Am I expecting too much? I am just so disappointed in the tractor now.

Any suggestions appreciated.

/ TC33D low power help #2  
That does not seem right. We have a 1530, in the same family as your TC33D. It has about 25HP with a hydrostatic transmission. We use it to mow, plow, winch, and grade. I feel it does well considering its HP. Gearing can make a big difference. Is your transmission a 2 or 3 speed? About the only thing I use first for is plowing, most other work is done in second, and transport is done in third. It sounds like you may may be working in too high of a gear if it is very easy to stall out. When working, if you can not easily add throttle to your tractor under load you are geared too high. Also, if you run all the time in four wheel drive, that can take a lot of power.

/ TC33D low power help #3  
My guess would be gearing difference between the tractors - do you remember what engine speed and ground speed you were running in the Kubota? Compare those to the where you're running on your tractor. That will give you an idea of how different the gearing is.

If there is something wrong with the tractor, one of the first things you can do is put it on a PTO dynomometer to see what the HP and Torque really comes in at. If they have a reasonably modern setup, it will show you a graph of where the HP and Torque peak, and this can help to diagnose whether there is a problem, or if it's purely a gearing issue.

/ TC33D low power help #4  
You probably know this already, but just remember that the hydrostatic drive pedal is not a "gas pedal". People often have the urge to press harder on the pedal when the tractor starts to bog down. Instead you should ease up on the pedal which will increase the power (torque).

/ TC33D low power help
I don't really remember what RPMs the Kubota was running. I don't think nearly as fast as I have to run my TC33D. Something I do know that is different in the two tractors that my rear tires are half filled with antifreeze. I'm not sure if that would make that much difference but it does affect it I'm sure.

As far as using the pedal I do know how that works. I realize it's not a gas pedal. It just seems that I am having to work the pedal an awful lot. High gear is basically useless except for running down the highway.

Would going to a synthetic hydraulic fluid help? I'm open to any suggestions. I really do like this tractor and want to keep it for a long time. The size is perfect.

/ TC33D low power help #6  
I don't think you will notice any difference with or w/o filled tires or synthetic hydo fluid.

Will you dealer let you "test drive" a new one? If so you could compare one against the other doing the same job.

/ TC33D low power help #7  
Get it on a dyno and have it adjusted to max PTO HP. Brakes are releasing completely? You may have a hydro pressure problem.

/ TC33D low power help #8  
dqdave1 said:
Get it on a dyno and have it adjusted to max PTO HP. Brakes are releasing completely? You may have a hydro pressure problem.

Yes, I'd be puttn that tractor on a PTO dyno and get her adjusted up to spec.

/ TC33D low power help
dqdave1 said:

Is this something a dealer can do? I live in a rural area and it may be hard to find someone who can. It is a great idea.

/ TC33D low power help #10  
If your dealer doesn't have PTO dynomometer and someone with the skill set and information to adjust a TC injector pump, he shouldn't have a NH sales contract.