TC34DA FEL problem?

/ TC34DA FEL problem? #1  

Fork14

Tractor
TC34DA and 1951 8N
Bought the tractor new last November and loader worked fine. Now, when I dump the bucket all the way and try to back drag manure from top of pile towards me, the bucket will ride the pile, closing for approximately 30 degrees then catches. It did not do this new. My dealer said that this was normal and that he could install restrictor plates in line that would slow down movement but would solve problem. I do not want to sacrifice the speed if this is true. This was loosely piled manure I was trying to pull back, I didn't, nor have I ever, left the bucket at full dump position then pushed down and tried to backdrag my gravel drive.
Is this really normal or should I insist on a repair?
Thanks

/ TC34DA FEL problem? #2  
Cycle the dump cylinders fully, from retract to extend a few times. It's worked for me when that issue occurs.

/ TC34DA FEL problem? #3  
I was doing the very same thing with my 4 year old 33D yesterday and the bucket always held where I put it.

I don't think it should drift at all. Maybe air in the line?

/ TC34DA FEL problem? #4  
Faulty piston seal. Here is what's happening. You tilt the bucket. The rod is now extended out of the cylinder. As you backdrag, the rod tries to retract into the cylinder. If the piston seal is good, the rod doesn't move. But, fluid is bypassing the seal and going into the rod side of the cylinder. Now, the volume of oil the cylinder can hold is decreasing. The rod takes up space inside the cylinder. Now with cylinder volume decreasing with the same amount of oil in the cylinder, pressure increases. So, as you backdrag with a worn piston seal, the cylinder pressure increases until it equals the amount of force required to hold the bucket in place.

Try leaving a load in the bucket, lift the FEL off the ground about a foot, and curl back. See how much the cylinders drift in an hour. I'll bet it's quite a bit.

/ TC34DA FEL problem? #5  
Wayne County Hose said:
Faulty piston seal. Here is what's happening. You tilt the bucket. The rod is now extended out of the cylinder. As you backdrag, the rod tries to retract into the cylinder. If the piston seal is good, the rod doesn't move. But, fluid is bypassing the seal and going into the rod side of the cylinder. Now, the volume of oil the cylinder can hold is decreasing. The rod takes up space inside the cylinder. Now with cylinder volume decreasing with the same amount of oil in the cylinder, pressure increases. So, as you backdrag with a worn piston seal, the cylinder pressure increases until it equals the amount of force required to hold the bucket in place.
Andy, COOL.....Very good!, etc. That phenom hasnt been described around here that Ive seen. I think that type of thing may be happening on boogerman2000s BH as well. Since you only have differential area = to the rod area to work with, the pressures can get very high, popping hoses or front seal.
larry

/ TC34DA FEL problem? #6  
Larry, I'm glad it was understood. Sometimes I say things one way but really mean another. Many times, I know what I want to say but have a hard time putting it down so that it's understandable to anyone. Care to elaborate on this from an engineering standpoint? I know that cylinders do drift with worn piston seals, but given a healthy valve, they will only drift until pressures equalize or until the attachment the cylinder is hooked to equals the pull of the internal cylinder pressure.

I really don't think this is the issue with boogerman's bh. Anything is possible, but I am leaning towards bad machining of the snap ring grooves. Or, a valve problem. The only time I have ever seen glands move is either one of these 2 problems.