45A Hard to Start

/ 45A Hard to Start #1  

SOS

Silver Member
Tractor
NH 45 A (2006)
I have a year and half old 45 A (with 130 hours) that is now hard to start the first time in the morning. I have to push the throttle way up and crank it a lot. After its warmed up, the next time it starts fairly easy. I've changed the oil and oil filter twice in 120 hours and changed the fuel filter at about 100 hours.

Any ideas??? :confused:

/ 45A Hard to Start #2  
Steve, I think the first thing to check is the glowplugs. If they aren't working, then the first start could be a hard start. It might be something else, but with these symptoms, I'd check the glowplugs first.

/ 45A Hard to Start
Thanks. Now I have to check out how to check the glowplugs. I have been doing a lot of chipping. Do you think the airfilter needs replaced?

Also I saw a mouse run out of the engine compartment yesterday.... think he might me messing around in there too.

/ 45A Hard to Start #4  
I would remove the outside air filter and blow it out with air, but I doubt that is your problem. I think the mouse chewing wires to your glowplugs is far more likely. Do you know how to use a voltmeter to see if you are getting current to the plugs when the ignition is turned on? You should see very nearly 12 vdc at each plug when the key is turned to on. I believe they are wired in parallel, so if you read 12 vdc at one glowplug, you probably have it at all of them.

It might be your glowplug timer relay. There have been several people who had trouble with those. Do you have an Operator's Manual? The electrical schematics are in the back of the manual.

/ 45A Hard to Start
I cleaned out the airfilter and it starts great. I have been doing a lot of chipping and it was pretty dirty .... Thanks for the pointers.