Charging Problem

/ Charging Problem #1  

jgbanshee

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 310SE, JD 4300, JD 5210, JD 450 Crawler, CAT D3B, Ford 2N, Ford 5000 Ford 4000su, Ford 1100
My Ford 545D has been starting with absolutely no problems ever since I put a brand new battery in it. The other day I had to jump it to start it. The multi-meter was showing me less than 12V at the two battery posts while running. The alternator I think was putting out 19V. The dash light (battery and engine oil) have been lit up. The engine oil is full and the light does go off BUT the battery light seems to be on all the time (never this long before). When I replaced the battery in the winter, I took the battery tray out and cleaned/painted it and made sure the sensor in the tray was clean, bright, and tight.
I had to use it today for some things and jumped it to start. Left it idle for a bit and put the torque converter lever in reverse and the tractor did not move. Tried everything and nothing happened. I shut the tractor off and came back later, battery had no power at all. Jumped it and put it in gear and it moved.

Where should I start?

/ Charging Problem #2  
I would take the battery out and either replace it if its bad, or charge it up to full capacity. Then I'd check the battery cables for corrosion and the negative wire where it hooks up to the frame same for the alternator wires. It seems the is a break between the alternator and the battery somehow.

/ Charging Problem #3  
Sounds like the over-heat sensor in the battery tray. Of all the potential parts that could be malfunctioning, that's the cheapest.

/ Charging Problem #4  
Sounds like the over-heat sensor in the battery tray. Of all the potential parts that could be malfunctioning, that's the cheapest.

And it can be replaced with a 200 ohm resistor from Radio Shack or wherever. They are even cheaper than the temp sensor, which will spoil a $50 bill.