Oil & Fuel Priming a diesel fuel system

/ Priming a diesel fuel system #12  
Listen to Willl,
Starting fluid is like heroin, once you use it, you can't get off of it...
(and it is just as rough on tractor engines as heroin is on people)
David from jax

/ Priming a diesel fuel system #13  
I don't post here very often, but I'd like to suggest you not remove the thermostat. It may make your engine run hotter. Why? Because removing the restriction in the water flow may result in the coolant passing through the radiator too quickly to cool. Those sort of things are engineered and it's best to keep them as designed. Been there, done that with a race car we ran a few years back. It kept running hot so the owner said to take out the thermostat and it made it even worse. We ended up cutting out the center of a thermostat to allow more flow, but still have a restriction and it fixed the problem. I wouldn't have even agreed to that except it was a race car and all the engineering had long since gone out the window. For that matter, the windows had gone out the window too!! Truth is, we just didn't have a big enough radiator for what we were doing.

Of course, the car owner didn't know we'd done that, he was very adamant that he was right about pulling the thermostat completely out. We gave up the race cars a long time ago and he's still my best friend... don't have the heart to tell him he was wrong.

/ Priming a diesel fuel system #14  
I ran into the problem of water going too fast thru a radiator to cool when the thermostat was removed on a 1978 Chevette. It didn't make sense to me on the trip, but I learned a valuable lesson when I replaced the thermostat.
David from jax

/ Priming a diesel fuel system #15  
If you remove the thermostat (and you have no other problems) the engine will run too cool and you will get soot buildup problems in your motor.

If you have to use starting fluid, you should start shopping for a new motor (or tractor) unless you love that machine so much you are willing to do a rebuild.

WD-40 can work as starting fluid without as many bad side effects. It's better to fix the problem though.

/ Priming a diesel fuel system #17  
Maybe you'll get some help here. But I'd suggest starting your own thread in the John Deere section. More folks with tractors like yours hang out there. Good Luck!!!

Welcome to TBN!!!