Oil & Fuel Priming a diesel fuel system

/ Priming a diesel fuel system #1  

brianMO

Silver Member
Tractor
TYM T330 w/ lt300 loader
I ran my ford 1100 out of fuel and now I am having a hard time getting the air out of the system. I know this has been covered over and over, but cannot seem to put the right words into the search engine. Can anybody help. Do I need to crack my injectors as someone cranks the engine?

thx,

Brian

/ Priming a diesel fuel system #2  
Try to search using:
"bleed ford injectors"
There are some good threads that should help more than I can.

/ Priming a diesel fuel system #3  
brianMO said:
I ran my ford 1100 out of fuel and now I am having a hard time getting the air out of the system. I know this has been covered over and over, but cannot seem to put the right words into the search engine. Can anybody help. Do I need to crack my injectors as someone cranks the engine?

thx,

Brian

Brian,

Take a look at the thread below. On one occasion I also loosened the compression fitting at the injector and turn the engine a few time till I got solid fuel coming out. I tightened the fitting and the engine started right up. I had to do it once when I completely emptied the fuel tank.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/nh-owning-operating/104448-1700-injector-pump-bleeding.html

/ Priming a diesel fuel system #4  
As a last resort this is what I have done, but keep in mind this is after I have bled the injector pump and filters and still cannot get it to start.

Somehow open up the air breather tube and with someone else cranking the engine give one small shot of starting fluid (I'm talking like a 1 second shot is too much). Doing this will cause the engine to start and suck any air in the lines out along with fuel. By having someone else cranking the engine then squirting a small shot it sucks it all in quick and gets it all out of the intake when it starts. If you try this alone, without squirting during cranking that one little squirt will fill the entire intake with fumes and when you turn the engine over it has to suck a long string of it through before it is all out... causing your engine to run very very high rpms for a short time at initial startup which is bad.

I have done this several times over the years but like I said it is something I have done as a last resort. I'm not a fan of bleeding the injectors due to the high pressure going through them and the fact my hand is usually nearby.

/ Priming a diesel fuel system
She's alive again. I ended up just cracking the injectors and cranking until I had no air. Did not do my starter any favors but finally running. The tips I will use for next time. It is always a PITA to run out of fuel with a diesel. I was lacking power the first few laps around my yard. I now need to look at the cooling system. I overheated yesterday. Fuel pump appears to be working. I think a fush is in order. Does anybody know if there is a thermostat in on this tractor?

thx for the information.

Brian

/ Priming a diesel fuel system #6  
I would almost certainly think there is a thermostat in that tractor I know my 1700 had one I just searched and found this site.
Ford Tractor Thermostats
looks like it might be good for other things as well
It goes up to a 1991.

/ Priming a diesel fuel system #7  
brianMO said:
She's alive again. I ended up just cracking the injectors and cranking until I had no air. Did not do my starter any favors but finally running. The tips I will use for next time. It is always a PITA to run out of fuel with a diesel. I was lacking power the first few laps around my yard. I now need to look at the cooling system. I overheated yesterday. Fuel pump appears to be working. I think a fush is in order. Does anybody know if there is a thermostat in on this tractor?

thx for the information.

Brian

Glad it worked out. There is a T-stat for sure where upper radiator pipe going to the block.

JC,

/ Priming a diesel fuel system
I suppose I could just remove it. I do not use this tractor in the winter.

/ Priming a diesel fuel system #9  
I wondered that myself. (remove it).
I'm not sure if it would run colder and have troubles or less power etc. Someone else will most like weigh in ...

/ Priming a diesel fuel system #10  
Took me three weeks to get my Ford 1100 started after I ran it completely out of fuel. Kind of try it for a while, starter would get warm, let it rest, try again, then go back in the house and try again tomorrow. I learned a lot about that little tractor in those three weeks.
David from jax