New guy, new question on my New Holland

/ New guy, new question on my New Holland #1  

w2hgy

Tractor
nh tc21d
Hi , bought 914a 60inch deck for my TC21D works unbelieveable ,thankx for inputs. I was wondering to any NH owners about the 2 front axle piviot stops , has anybody ever adjusted them for more movement , for say going over irregular ground? Without stating to many of the obvious reservations I have , just wondering what I might be getting myself into.The rear is solid from what I can see ,and if the front moves more, just worried how the rear will react when it goes over the same divit or bump.The tractor also has a FEL,I take it off for mowing, Just want to keep it safe ,cant find any specs or adjustment procedures, last year I bought all of the service manuals for this machine ("cause you never know") just like to have them on hand , and didnt find anything about this subject Any help or input is much appreciated .Thankx Pete

/ New guy, new question on my New Holland #2  
My manual had a section on adjusting them but my tractor is a little bigger. It's a TD95. I've had to adjust my wheel width a couple of times and readjusted the stops both times for maximum turn radius. You really have to make sure you aren't over extending the turn cylinders and the tires won't hit anything. SOme tractors get a little dangerous at maximum turn radius too. I had a 16 foot rotary hoe on mine yesterday with my wheels set on 40 inch centers and I made my turns at the end of the row real slow so I wouldn't tip it. It does feel a little funny sometimes especially with that much weight lifted on the back. My tires are all filled and I was turning with the brakes but even then I take sharp turns easy. Just be careful.

/ New guy, new question on my New Holland
Thankx, I know it will be a trial and error to get it adjusted , but its the error part thats got me concerned.Thats why I like to bounce this kind of stuff off more knowledgable people like yourself. I will keep those points you made in mind when adjustment attempt is made.Weekend coming up may shoot down to NH dealer and see what they think. Sometimes they give a "save" answer thinking you will hold them responsible or something , regardless of issue.(I can see their point though). Thats why I like this site people always try to help.So with the advice and exsperience you get here and with a little common sense usually come out ahead.Pete

/ New guy, new question on my New Holland #4  
I just reread this and I think I had the wrong front axle stops in mind. Mine doesn't have pivot stops on it but turning stops. They are there to keep the wheels from hitting the fuel tank or something while turning.
Sorry about that.

Hey WTA , no problem I can even spell safe (wrote" save").You Still helped I didnt think about in a turn, on a bump or divit, if the axle pivot too much the tire/wheel may contact tractor in some way.So that would be something to watch out for and adjust.Some may think" no kidding "but it didnt occure to me at that time.I still say thank you for making that lump on my shoulders earn its keep.

/ New guy, new question on my New Holland #6  
I wouldn't even mess with it. Can't imagine it will give you much more flexibility and they are probably set where there are at the factory for a reason. One that comes to mind is too much travel that could make a roll-over occur where it might not if the tractor is not allowed to move as much.

As far as traversing uneven ground, I have taken shallow swales on an angle and had one front and the opposite rear off the ground and the front axle against the stops (no safety issue, but do need to engage the rear diffy lock). Bottom line is they don't have a suspension and can roll easily without much notice. Slow and steady with a sharp eye on the terrain is the safest. And with the FEL, its low and slow....with your hand ready to dump the load in an emergency.

Brad

Thankx neighbor,(not far from your local)::eek: : Understood ,thats that common sense factor coming into play,appreciate helping me see the light.Your right no suspension ,Will be leaving well enough alone. I was looking for alittle more stability ,its pretty hairy when you get that thought of a roll over,has never come to that, believe it or not very cautious. When you said about haveing your hand on the FEL control and bucket low I dont feel so bad now ,have had this tractor since 1999 and still creap when bucket loaded.tc21d turf tires no calcium,I dished them out and always have some ballast on rear when doing loader work.Just getting use to new 914a 60 inch deck, weird not having the FEL on ,I guess its throwing me off abit.(perception)thankx again Pete.

/ New guy, new question on my New Holland #8  
is the deck you purchased new? how much did you pay for it?

Hello, how you doing, used ,this guy had bought it for his tractor and didn't like how much manuvering he had to do ,nice lawn but truly an obstical course,he set his sites on a zero turn machine .Basically brand new ,all hardware was there,just scuffed up on the sides. Including gas there and back around 1800.00.I think good deal considering not that old,good shape , and new ones start approx 2660.00 Tried to attach a picture I found of the ultimate hill grass cutter or anything come to think of it ,alittle to much for my needs but i wouldn't say no,just paint it blue and i'll be all set .Pete

Last edited:
   / New guy, new question on my New Holland #10  
I guess we are neighbors, never looked at your location.

I have turfs on mine, and when I bought it I insisted no weight in the tires. In fact, they had to get the tractor from another dealer and it came with CaCl in the tires with tubes, and I made them swap them out even though they said there would be no charge to keep them. H&M did not want to let it go out the door with an FEL and no weight, but knew I had heavy equipment experience so they gave in. I have a real soft lawn at times and didn't want to leave tracks. In less than two weeks I dropped off the wheels at H&M and paid to have tubes and washer fluid put in, what a difference! And no difference in the footprint on the lawn.

I have something on the back most of the time too. If you ever have to fix a tire, I recommend getting them filled. Its just that much more solid.

I think these Class I TC machines feel more tippy than they really are due to the high seat position - BUT - I also think that is a good thing! Keeps you honest!!

My 914A deck on the 24D does a nicer job mowing than my old Gravely or anything else I have ever used. Feels like a sports car without the FEL on the front, doesn't it?

Brad