Ford 4000 3 PT won't move

/ Ford 4000 3 PT won't move #1  

PAB_OH

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30 HST
My neighbor has a Ford 4000 (not sure of the year) and he told me tonight the three point hitch won't move. Apparently last fall it was moving slow and this spring he and his son added hydraulic fluid but it still won't move.

I don't know too much at this point and the tractor is about 60 miles away. Before I go down to look at it I thought I'd see if there is something common that fails on these or if you folks might have some pointers.

I'm a pretty decent mechanic and I'm not afraid to work on anything. I've got a pretty good grasp on electronics and hydraulics and I design mechanical components and assemblies for a living so I've got that pretty much covered too.

So, let me know what else you need to know to help Bob. I'll do my best to get answers. Thanks in advance.

/ Ford 4000 3 PT won't move #2  
Three different pump configurations based on whether it is a '62-'64 4000; 65 & up 4000 gear drive, or 65 and up SelectoSpeed. Early 4000 could need the pump bled. Any of them could have a stuck unload valve. If the tractor has a remote valve, see if it flows oil.

/ Ford 4000 3 PT won't move #3  
When you do get there and ID what year it is, so that you can follow ricks great advice, go ahead and post back here and let us know the year.

soundguy

/ Ford 4000 3 PT won't move
I asked my neigbor the year this evening and he said he had no idea. He did say it's a gear though. I don't know if that helps narrow it down. Likely doesn't but thought I'd try. I might make it down there this weekend. If I do what do I look at to determine approximate age?

Thanks guy's. I'm trying to track down tech. docs to get an idea of the hydraulic system layout and such.

/ Ford 4000 3 PT won't move #5  
No.. being gear don't help at all.

get the sn, and other numbers from the bellhousing flat just aft of the starter.

soundguy

/ Ford 4000 3 PT won't move #6  
3 or 4 cylinder will give us the year range.
4 cylinder is 62-64, 3 is 65 and up.

Wedge

Thanks guys. I checked with Bob and he said it's a 3 cylinder. He also said it has a loader on it and when he cycles the loader valve the hoses jump. He didn't say if the loader moves or not though. I didn't have a bunch of time to talk to him tonight.

I still haven't made it down there. I'm helping another friend put up a barn (he has my tractor right now) and I'm clearing trees from storms (free firewood!!).

If you got any guesses based on what little info I've given then please share. Otherwise I'll give you anytihng I find out when I make it down there.

/ Ford 4000 3 PT won't move #9  
If this loader is fed off an ASC valve on the hyd cover.. check that too.

soundguy

Thanks Rick. I plan to take some oil with me among many other things.

Soundguy, I don't know if it has an ASC valve or not but I'll check when I see the machine. From what I gather if the ASC valve is in the wron position or is defective it will divert all the fluid from the 3PH. Sound right?

Does anyone have a schematic for this machine or know where I can get one? He's a pretty good neighbor so I'm willing to get it on my own if need be.

Thanks for all the help so far guys.