3-Point Hitch Couple of 3pt questions

/ Couple of 3pt questions #1  

marc2000gt

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland TZ18DA
TZ18DA

If I leave the lever that controls the 3pt in the upper position you can tell it puts a load on the tractor when the 3pt is all the way up. Is this normal, or should the 3pt quit trying to lift when it is all the way up?

If I put the control lever for the 3pt in the middle position between up and down the 3pt slowly drops down and I will have to keep lifting the 3pt back up with driving. Is this normal?

When traveling how should I have the lever for the three point, in the up or middle position?

/ Couple of 3pt questions #2  
On the ( older and larger ) units, there was linkage to shut the internal valving off when the 3pt reached it's max lift.. this was all on the inside. This one may have linkage on the inside or outside.. I've not looked much at the 'new' NH lawnmower sized units.

soundguy

/ Couple of 3pt questions #3  
My tractor is much older but it may work the same.

My lever for the 3 pt has a bottom position and then a bolt stop located just a short distance before the top most postion. When I work with equipment I run the lever between the bottom position and the bottom edge of the Bolt stop. The engine does not lug when I leave the equpiment up. When going in between work places or when not using the 3pt equipment I bend out the lever and slip by the bolt stop and then rest the lever on top of the bolt stop so that the lever doesn't bounce down. I still can move my lever up to its maximum. The top most position allows me to run a hydraulic remote.

When I put the lever at max height my engine will lug slightly has it is constantly pumping oil to provide the ability to run a hydrualic cylinder or hydraulic motor.

/ Couple of 3pt questions #4  
Your tractor is constantly pumping hyd oil .. I REALLY doubt the hyd pump shuts down on your system when the 3pt handle ain't up... if it's a 1710 we are talking about.. You may want to investigate how the control valve system works on your tractor. I believe that system had an 8 or 11 cc pump.. 8cc in 83, and 11cc 84+.. etc.

soundguy

/ Couple of 3pt questions
Soundguy said:
Your tractor is constantly pumping hyd oil .. I REALLY doubt the hyd pump shuts down on your system when the 3pt handle ain't up... if it's a 1710 we are talking about.. You may want to investigate how the control valve system works on your tractor. I believe that system had an 8 or 11 cc pump.. 8cc in 83, and 11cc 84+.. etc.

soundguy

Hey, me,me,me, my problems. Just kidding. Anyway, my 3pt has three positions, up which keeps pressure on, the middle position which I would think would keep my implement in the air and not let it drop, and the lower position which drops the 3pt and lets the implement float with the land.

I have not been on a tractor with a 3pt for about 10 years, but I don't remember having top keep lifting the implement while driving. Granted my mower drops a lot faster than my box scraper. With the mower I have to keep looking while traveling to make sure it stays up high enough.

Should it drop like this when the tractor is running?

/ Couple of 3pt questions #6  
I drive only several hundred yards with 800 # disc in elevated position, but do experience bleed down.

/ Couple of 3pt questions #7  
No.. it should not drop.. you must be experiencing a leak. prime leaks ar ethe lift cyl.. though your spool could deffinately be bypassing.. etc.

soundguy

The tractor is an '04, but it only has 64 hrs on it now. Could it be from not getting much use that something is not quite shifting right? I bought it a few months ago and it had 50hrs on it.

/ Couple of 3pt questions #9  
Ideally.. it should work, from new, 'as new', till it experiences damage or wear and needs repair.

This sounds like a 'needs repair' type of situation.

soundguy

So how should I go about repairing it? I am a Maintenance Technician by trade and do most of the work on my cars including engine rebuilds, so I am not afraid to work on my tractor, but a little direction would help. I don't know much about working on them yet.

I am not too impressed by the dealer that the tractor was originally purchased from. After today I have now found three spots on the feed hose for the fel that have rubbed through to the braiding. One was rubbing against the rear tire, and two where they passed the hose through the foot pedal area. Right after buying the tractor I did the 50hr service on it and found that one of the fel mounting bolts was missing and that all the others were very loose and would have fallen out at some point.