Oil & Fuel Case DX-40 pumped my engine FULL of hydraulic oil!

/ Case DX-40 pumped my engine FULL of hydraulic oil! #1  

cpeters

I posted the below in the Case IH forum and got a helpful response from Jnman was just interested if anyone had ever had this happen. I talked to my local Case IH dealer mechanic and he said they had never had this happen. I will pull the pump this weekend. I thought I would repost here just to get some more eyes since NH makes the same tractor.

Brush hogged for 4 hours yesterday and all was good but today I was taking my Case DX-40 to the barn and as I pulled in noticed an oil trail going into the barn.

Started looking around thinking I had a metal fluid line cracked...while looking I ran the engine up and it started spewing hydraulic fluid out of the crankcase breather hose from the top of the valve cover!!! Talking about filling an engine!

Obviously I immediately shut the darn thing down right then.

I would have to suspect some sort of seal in the hydraulic pump on the front of the engine let lose and is pumping hydraulic fluid into the crankcase. I guess the only positive thing is at least it is not water in the crankcase, so I would expect the engine will be fine after an oil and filter change.

Have any of you experienced this?

Pump rebuild? or new Pump? am I off base here.....guess I'll pull the pump this week.

GRRRRR.. Last summer I had to replace cracked oil cooler after puking fluid all over.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

By the way it has about 2800 hours on it.

Charlie

/ Case DX-40 pumped my engine FULL of hydraulic oil! #2  
Someone might mention to you that the power steering pump could also pump hydraulic fluid into the crankcase. That is true, but there is not enough fluid in the PS reservoir to fill the crankcase to overflowing. Your problem is the shaft seal on the main hydraulic pump. Something blew out that seal or it was defective from the factory.

The bad news is that the NH website parts diagram shows the pump as a replaceable item. It does not show any internal parts or seals. It may not be serviceable other than replacement.:(

/ Case DX-40 pumped my engine FULL of hydraulic oil! #3  
Man, that would be the first time I heard about and engine being filled with hydraulic oil and not with Diesel fuel due to a faulty injector. Thats different. Hope you get it sorted out tho. Good luck!

/ Case DX-40 pumped my engine FULL of hydraulic oil!
Pulled the pump this weekend and as suspected the front shaft seal is definitely broken, I pulled the rest of the pump apart and no wear at all looks brand new, although some of the gaskets between the pump end plates, sort of a figure 8 looking gaskets on the front and back plates seem to be a little ate up in places. The tractor 3 point would always leak down so maybe I have had a little issue for a while.

I know NH and Case so not show a gasket kit for the pump but I am going to replace them all hopefully. It is a KYB pump and I have the pump number. I found some places on line I will try to call that deal in pump gaskets and parts. If I can get the parts it should be a simple fix...otherwise I will try to cross the part number on just the front shaft seal.

Thanks for all of your help.

Charlie

/ Case DX-40 pumped my engine FULL of hydraulic oil! #5  
Good luck with your pump repair, Charlie. A place that specializes in hydraulic pumps and repair might have a generic seal.

I don't think the pump having problems would effect your 3PH to cause leakdown. The leaking pump might reduce the maximum lift of the 3PH, but the leakdown is probably an internal checkvalve in the HPL control valve or a very slow leak in the lift cylinder seal.