tc18 hst forward/reverse pedal freeze

/ tc18 hst forward/reverse pedal freeze #1  

wojofam7431

Tractor
new holland tc18
hi, got a problem & i hope somebody can help. I have a TC18 with a hydrostatic trans, every once in a while the forward/reverse pedal will freeze in the direction the tractor is going and I've had to stomp the pedal in the opposite direction before it runs into something. If i shut it off and work the pedal back and forth a couple of times it works fine. It has done this 5 to 6 times, the first & second time it did it the pedal stayed frozen with the engine off i let it set overnight & it was fine, anyone know whats wrong ? thanks

/ tc18 hst forward/reverse pedal freeze #2  
grease all fittings, remove shroud under steering wheel and lube all linkages. Damper may be bad.

/ tc18 hst forward/reverse pedal freeze
Thanks DQ, will check that this weekend thought i got all the zerks, guess not. how do you check for a bad damper?
Need to get manuals for this thing. thanks again

/ tc18 hst forward/reverse pedal freeze #4  
Since your pedal stayed depressed when the engine was shut off, it sure sounds like friction is your problem. However, if you do not keep engine rpm high on a NH hydrostatic transmission, the same thing occurs. If you are operating at low rpm, the charge pump for the transmission cannot supply enough pressure to make the swashplate return to neutral. As the engine bogs down further under load, the problem seems to get worse and you have to physically press reverse to get the pedal to center.

So I think your main problem is friction, but always keep your engine rpm above 2000 for best hydrostatic transmission performance.

/ tc18 hst forward/reverse pedal freeze #5  
I do not know how a damper is proven to be defective; my TC29 would not come completely back to nuetral; dealer replaced damper; all is good, except price - $103.00. You may want to disassemble all moving parts and lube , some areas are not greasable.

/ tc18 hst forward/reverse pedal freeze #6  
I agre with Jinman.. check for mechanical hangups.. see if the pedals move smoothly.. look for entrained debri binding them up..

soundguy

Thanks Jim, I do run it at the lowest rpm that gets the job done ( first time I'ved owned a hydro) except when mowing (2500). I'll run it above 2000 this weekend, I'd bet you're right because now that you mentioned rpm's and I've thought about it,it happens at low revs. thanks much Jim

thanks to everybody for your replies, all good suggestions

/ tc18 hst forward/reverse pedal freeze #9  
I have a '99 TC18 HST and have not had the problem in the OP even though I regularly run it below 2000 rpm (thanks, jinman). Ignorance is bliss, I guess! :D

Seriously, though, there's one more bit'o'wisdom from TBN I'll have in my pea-brain if I run on to the phenomena!

In all fairmess, though, I've only put about 5 hrs. on this year. Just ran the mower for the first time the other day...:eek: Took down grass that hadn't been mowed at all this year yet. But the fact that I'm usually up and down hills makes me concerned about the low rpm aspect jinman mentioned - and surprised it hasn't manifested itself.