Four Wheel Drive problem

/ Four Wheel Drive problem #1  

ctjstr

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland TC35D
All of a sudden, I'm not able to shift into 4 wheel drive. Just happened and I havn't had a chance to look closely to see if its linkage related or something internal.

Just curious if anyone else has had similar issues and what you found. thanks

oh yeah..its on the TC 35D

/ Four Wheel Drive problem #2  
I've never had a problem with mine going into 4wd. I sometimes have to raise the front wheels with the FEL to get it out of 4wd, but I cannot recall ever having trouble getting it to go in. I think checking your linkage for binding is a good first step.

/ Four Wheel Drive problem #3  
Try putting in reverse and gently letting clutch out a hair while trying to engage 4wd.. sometimes as Jim said.. it may need a lil coaxing to get everything meshed up.

post back.

soundguy

/ Four Wheel Drive problem #4  
Soundguy said:
Try putting in reverse and gently letting clutch out a hair while trying to engage 4wd.. sometimes as Jim said.. it may need a lil coaxing to get everything meshed up.

post back.

soundguy

Now you've gone and done it Soundguy. . . . He'll be spending hours and hours lookin' for his clutch since the TC35D doesn't have one.;) :rolleyes: :D :D

/ Four Wheel Drive problem #5  
jinman said:
Now you've gone and done it Soundguy. . . . He'll be spending hours and hours lookin' for his clutch since the TC35D doesn't have one.;) :rolleyes: :D :D

The TC35 doesn't have a clutch?:confused: I thought they all had clutches even the hydro's, to change ranges for the transmission and engage the pto. Does the TC35 have an electro hydraulic pto?

Solo

/ Four Wheel Drive problem #6  
Solo said:
The TC35 doesn't have a clutch?:confused: I thought they all had clutches even the hydro's, to change ranges for the transmission and engage the pto. Does the TC35 have an electro hydraulic pto?

Solo

The TC35 (gear model) has a clutch, but the TC35D (that means hydrostatic) does not. There is only a range selector and the forward and reverse hydro pedals. This is only true on the Class III Boomers. The Class IIs have a clutch.

The PTO is hydro-mechanical. The PTO lever opens a hydraulic valve. The hydraulic pressure/flow closes a clutch and engages the PTO.

The 4WD lever is a straight mechanical connection through a series of levers. There is a transfer gear below the transmission that is mechanically engaged. Because of drivetrain windup, the transfer gear is sometimes hard to disengage, but normally it is easy to engage. I would think that the mechanical pivots on the 4wd lever might be the thing that is binding and causing hard or no engagement. Mine were really tight until I took the assembly apart and lubed it. Since then (over 5 years ago) mine has worked perfectly.

/ Four Wheel Drive problem #7  
Thanks Jinman I learned something new today.

Solo

/ Four Wheel Drive problem #8  
Yeah... I know...I can't keep track of what all scut's with hydro's do and don't have clutches.. i see some that do.. and some that don't... exercise is the same with just a lil common sense applied to the directions.. IE.. move fore/aft a bit while trying to engage the 4wd. Ct's probably a smart guy.. he would've figured it out.. after all.. he was smart enough to pos the problem here on this board.. plenty of smart people hang out here to answer questions.. like Jim and Rick

soundguy

/ Four Wheel Drive problem #9  
Soundguy said:
plenty of smart people hang out here to answer questions.. like Jim and Rick

soundguy

...and Soundguy who normally gives very good advice; so good that I can't resist pokin' a little fun at him when I can. I'm sure he will find the same opportunity to pay me back.:eek: :D

/ Four Wheel Drive problem #10  
You an rick are a bit harder to poke at.. You have a great deal more experience with the newer machines. I was just noticing your avatar pic.. can't help but ask.. is that a DRA or a pond you are building?

Soundguy