Mowing Size rotary mower for 1320

/ Size rotary mower for 1320 #1  

RocketJSquirrel

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 755
Does anyone know if a Ford/NH 1320 was rated to use a 60" rotary brush mower?

/ Size rotary mower for 1320 #2  
that will work fine with a 1320

/ Size rotary mower for 1320 #3  
NEW HOLLAND
Model = 1320 FWD

SPECIFICATIONS

Years Mfg: 1996-1998
Fuel: D

Engine Make: 3 CYL

CID: 77.4

Engine HP: 17 PTO
16 PTO
19-E

Cab: ROPS

No.Speeds: 9/3
HYDRO
Weight(Pounds): 2,229

List Price: N/A

~~~

<font color=blue>...Does anyone know if a Ford/NH 1320 was rated to use a 60" rotary brush mower? ...</font color=blue>

A 5' finish mower... so so..., A 5' rotary cutter.... NO

I'd stick with a 4' rotary cutter, with only 16 PTO hp and little torque... I think you'd be very disappointed with anything larger...

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ Size rotary mower for 1320 #4  
New holland literature says a 60" will be fine on this tractor.

/ Size rotary mower for 1320 #5  
Well, we have two differing opinions of the suitability of a 5' rotary cutter on the Ford 1320.

I believe that the 1320 can make the 5' rotary cutter spin and cut some light material. It would not be able to handle heavy brush in the way that John Miller is accustomed to with the utility and larger sized tractors. I've used Ford 8N and 9N tractors with a 5' mower and could cut grasses and dried weeds but was not able to effieciently handle heavy wet green material over 1ft in height.

If the wheel width of the 1320 is 4' or less I would opt for the 4' rotary cutter as you will have a better chance of handling typical rotary cutter jobs.

/ Size rotary mower for 1320 #6  
<font color=blue>...suitability of a 5' rotary cutter on the Ford 1320...</font color=blue>

Well... well... well... (3 deep subjects.../w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif)

I guess, first I'd ask RocketSquirrel what is his definition of a rotary cutter and exactly what he expects to cut...

I'm sure he could hook up a 7' tow behind "rotary cutter" and cut 2" high grass... but is that what a rotary cutter does or a what a finish mower does...?

We've got a couple different theories working here... textbook and practical experience...

Some textbooks say sure it's ok, let her rip... but my experience has voiced a different opinion.../w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Your 8N & 9N tractors have over twice the torque and almost twice the engine CID against the smaller 1320 compact... and you had a tough time in some cutter situations... he would have to crawl @ 1/2 mph and be stopping and going to seriously "rough cut" with a 4' rotary cutter... let alone a 5'.../w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ Size rotary mower for 1320 #7  
I know New Holland (formerly Ford) says a 951B 60-in rotary cutter is a recommended Ford tractor/implement combination with the 1320...

and they also say the 565 square baler is recommended for the 2120...

Now, without explaining fine details... I think the 1920 and 2120 are the some of the finest compacts Ford/New Holland has ever made... but practical experience would indicate not to use a 565 or any baler on the 2120...

Point being... just because the speed limit sign allows 65 mph... do you just put your SUV into 4-wheel drive and forge on @ that speed with a sheet of ice on the roads... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG

/ Size rotary mower for 1320 #8  
Hey John I got 2 customers using 565 on 2120's and one using this on a TC35 none of them have ever complained..They drop there bales onto the ground and pick them up...if they where trying to pull wagons, kickers, and balers then I would agree with you..but without these items the 565 is a very efficient unit that does not require a lot of power.

/ Size rotary mower for 1320 #9  
<font color=blue>Your 8N & 9N tractors have over twice the torque and almost twice the engine CID against the smaller 1320 compact... and you had a tough time in some cutter situations... he would have to crawl @ 1/2 mph and be stopping and going to seriously "rough cut" with a 4' rotary cutter... let alone a 5'...</font color=blue>

Exactly, that was my point. Guess I just did not state it as well as you did. Thanks!

/ Size rotary mower for 1320 #10  
The ford 8n/9n/2n is a gas job, and should be in the neighborhood of 24-26 hp. Was designed to pull a 2-plow bottom plow I believe.

For some reason... I like a deisel on a tractor... just me...

Soundguy