TC33D wont start

/ TC33D wont start
OK, I just unpluged the glow plug timer, no change, still will not start.

I wiggled all the wires, no difference.

The power still goes up and down.

Its up more than down.

I dont know what else to check.

Any suggestions?
sherpa

/ TC33D wont start #12  
I would check the battery cables and check the ground to the frame it could be a bad connection . I have also seen batterys with a dead short act this way.

/ TC33D wont start #14  
sherpa said:
OK, I just unpluged the glow plug timer, no change, still will not start.
There is the Glow Plug Timer Relay and the Glow Plug Relay. I believe the circuit works as follows. When you initially turn your key switch to the right it starts the Glow Plug Timer Relay which energizes the Glow Plug Relay, once it times out and you turn the switch further to the right (the spring loaded position) it also sends power to the Glow Plugs through the Glow Plug Relay and the starter. If you only removed the Glow Plug Timer Relay you did not totally eliminate the Glow Plugs from the circuit.

When you measure the voltage fluctuations is it with the key switch in the first position or in the spring loaded position?

/ TC33D wont start
jinman said:
I don't think you can do that. The connection to the starter motor is internal since the solenoid switch is on the starter. To check the motor for operation, you need to connect a jumper between the large cable coming from the battery and the small connector. This will provide voltage to the solenoid and make it engergize the starter motor. If this does not work, then you probably have a starter problem. If it does work, then you can continue to look for a relay or switch problem.

My starter is becoming erratic in its operation also. I'm pretty sure it will require some maintenance before too long. My maintenance manual shows a complete disassembly, so I'm pretty sure the starter can be repaired.

Where is the small connector jinman is speaking of, is it exposed?

I tried a different battery and I have tried jumping it from ny running truck.

I agree, it acts like a bad ground but I cant find it?

sherpa

/ TC33D wont start #16  
[My starter is becoming erratic in its operation also. I'm pretty sure it will require some maintenance before too long. My maintenance manual shows a complete disassembly, so I'm pretty sure the starter can be repaired./QUOTE]

This is the part I was referring to.:D

/ TC33D wont start
I would like to check that starter before I take it off to make sure it is the problem. You would think a starter would last more than 4 years and 280 hours?
sherpa

/ TC33D wont start
thclimer said:
There is the Glow Plug Timer Relay and the Glow Plug Relay. I believe the circuit works as follows. When you initially turn your key switch to the right it starts the Glow Plug Timer Relay which energizes the Glow Plug Relay, once it times out and you turn the switch further to the right (the spring loaded position) it also sends power to the Glow Plugs through the Glow Plug Relay and the starter. If you only removed the Glow Plug Timer Relay you did not totally eliminate the Glow Plugs from the circuit.

When you measure the voltage fluctuations is it with the key switch in the first position or in the spring loaded position?

When I turn the key to the spring loaded position it instantly kills the voltage down to 4, 5, or 6 volts and the dash lights go very dim again like a short or bad ground or dead battery.
sherpa

/ TC33D wont start #19  
sherpa said:
I hooked up another battery with more voltage, 12.65 volts

I have 12.6 volts in the system sitting without switch on.
I turn the switch to the on possition only.
The voltage to the system drops to 4,5, or 6 volts.
The glow plug light will not burn at all.
The oil and battery lights are very dim.
The voltage starts increasing slowly, the lights get brighter.
After about 15 seconds, the voltage is up to 12 volts and the lights are normal bright.
Then after a few seconds it loses the voltage back down again.

As soon as the voltage gets to 12 volts and I try to start the engine its back dim again

I can even turn the switch off while the voltage is back up and turn it back on and the lights are still bright for a few seconds before everything starts dimming out again. (except for the glow plug light, it dont burn at all now.

Hmm... The battery swap should have eliminated the battery as a problem, so I'm not going with that theory.

The voltage fluctuation is very strange. Where are you measuring that voltage? Are you measuring at the battery terminals while all this is going on? Are you measuring at the starter (the big wire)?

This is starting to sound like a loose connection in the ground wire as Fullpull suggested or an internal break in one of the main battery cables. If you measure voltage right at the battery terminals, I'll bet it does not fluctuate like it does where you measured before.

And your starter should have two wires, one large wire that comes from the battery and a smaller wire that comes from your ignition circuit and controls the starter solenoid. On my starter it is in a boot just behind the large cable. I'm not sure if your starter is similar, but I'd bet it is.

Every time I hear of an electrical problem like this, I really wish I could be there with my trusty VOM to do some troubleshooting. This really intrigues me as much as I know it must frustrate you. I hope you find the problem soon.

/ TC33D wont start #20  
Egon said:
[My starter is becoming erratic in its operation also. I'm pretty sure it will require some maintenance before too long. My maintenance manual shows a complete disassembly, so I'm pretty sure the starter can be repaired./QUOTE]

This is the part I was referring to.:D

Egon, I've been shocked at the things that New Holland says are "non-servicable items." I think I've heard of two people with starter problems that just bought new starters for around $400. That sounds excessive to me and I'll sure give repair a try before I take a big fist full of my money down to my NH dealer to buy a new starter.:mad: Heck, I'd bet a rebuild shop wouldn't charge anymore than a couple hundred bucks.:)