Cracked Bell-Housing AFTER NH Tranny Fix

/ Cracked Bell-Housing AFTER NH Tranny Fix #1  

wihakowiSteve

Bronze Member
Tractor
NH TC35D
I just posted this in another thread and hate to double post and apologize in advance.
My TC35 goes to the shop tomorrow!

I was under it on Friday, loosening up the parking brake linkage and saw something weird on the paint. It hadn't really been used since it had the tranny fix back in November (thank you mild New England winter) so the underside was very clean from the washdown in the shop. Thought I saw a little paint crack or crinkle but it turned out to be a CRACK IN THE BELL-HOUSING! It begins just above where the driveshaft passes by and is about 3" long and looks to be spreading. Also looks like another crack is forming on the other side!! Did I freak???
Well, after I freaked and settled down, I called the largest local welding place and their guy came out and said that he really wouldn't be comfortable thinking that any weld he did would hold up. He said that the cracks were virtually new - no rust or corrosion and that they could only have happened if some catastrophic thing had happened to the tractor. Upon looking it over, he commented that it sure didn't look abused and that it was clear that it hadn't rolled, been dropped or roughed up.
During his inspection looking further at the engine/tranny junction he said, hey it looks like someone has recently split this engine. I replied that it had been in the shop in November for the tranny fix and he said, Aha! As if some light had gone off in his head.
He said that other than misuse or a major incident, the only two ways he had ever seen anything like that happen was 1) a backhoe attached to a tractor (noted profusely in threads on this forum) and 2) a tractor that was stressed by being improperly supported while split OR a mechanic not having pefect alignment while re-assembling the back and front and using the bolts to "pull" it back together thus creating a stress that can crack things.
I called my dealer and explained things to them, fully expecting to get the old "it couldn't have been us" routine. The first question was "had I added a backhoe?" and I put that one to rest. After being told how "new" the cracks are and hearing the welders thoughts about the split, they said they'd pick it up and take a look!
The dealer certainly hasn't admitted anything and I am not sure where this will go but it is scary. I have since had two other experienced tractor owner/operators take a look and they concur that they are very new cracks, just getting started and could easily point to the split job as a cause.

Any other stories or experiences with cracks either related or unrelated to the tranny fix and splitting the tractor?
Any thoughts on whether the only fix is to tear it down and replace the bell-housing?
Any guess or bets on what the dealer will determine and how they will deal with it??

Anyway, I've had better weekends!! It could have been the earthquake we had but that didn't happen until Saturday morn!!

Steve

/ Cracked Bell-Housing AFTER NH Tranny Fix #2  
Steve, you might want to delete the other post so all replies are kept in this thread.

/ Cracked Bell-Housing AFTER NH Tranny Fix #3  
Mike,
Out of shere noseiness, how would a normal joe go about deleting a post, I was thinking only administraiters and moderators could do such things.

/ Cracked Bell-Housing AFTER NH Tranny Fix #4  
Having a new machine that needs repair and then the repair shop does even more damage gives one a terrible feeling Steve. I have been where you are, just not the same problem. This is where the dealer's integrity will show (or not show). Good luck!

/ Cracked Bell-Housing AFTER NH Tranny Fix #5  
Mark,

Anyone can edit or delete their own posts within 12 hours of posting. From the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/site/guidelines.htm>Guidelines</A>

Editing or Deleting Posts
The discussion forum has both post editing and deletion utilities. These utilities are available only to the poster of a message. The purpose of the edit utility is to correct typographical or other errors in your post that you notice soon after posting. It is not there for you to 'change what you said' after there are replies to your post. The same goes for the delete utility. Once there are replies to your post, we ask that you do not delete it. If you wish for your post to be removed for any reason, please send a private message or e-mail to one of the forum moderators, and they will remove it from the forum. There is a 12-hour time limit on both the edit and delete utilities.

/ Cracked Bell-Housing AFTER NH Tranny Fix #7  
Thanks! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Cracked Bell-Housing AFTER NH Tranny Fix #8  
Wow, Steve! What a horrible thing to happen. I know just how sick it makes you feel when something like this happens. From your description, it sounds like the cracks didn't come from overtorquing the bolts. Are all the bolts on your undercarriage for your loader tight? On the hydro tranny, I believe most of the transmission parts are sealed units inside the "bell housing" shell. If that's the case, you would never see any leaking fluid because of the cracks. Here's wishing you good luck with your repair and your dealer. Please keep us informed. You can bet I'll be inspecting my underbelly for cracks too./w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

/ Cracked Bell-Housing AFTER NH Tranny Fix
Thanks Jinman,
from what the welder said it happens not from overtorqeuing the bolts but rather from using them (bolts) to basically align and draw the pieces together. As he desrcribed it, I guess the idea is that the pieces should slide/go together with very little effort and he has seen cases (no pun intended) where the mechanic uses the bolts, with the pieces slightly out of alignment, to bring the pieces together. So it is the process of putting it together more than the process of torquing the bolts down that creates the stress. Make any more sense??

Any other thoughts on how the cracks could happen??
Steve

/ Cracked Bell-Housing AFTER NH Tranny Fix #10  
Mike,
Thanks, I remember reading the guidelines page when I registered, but I am sure most of it went in the brain and then leaked out the many holes in my head.
I know this for a fact because I just reread some guidelines that I know I have already meesed up on. Sorry !! /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif
Looks like I will have to be Clapping the eraser's after class.
I got pretty good at that job when I was a kid going to school. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif