New Holland T1520 PTO shaft

/ New Holland T1520 PTO shaft #1  

jwichman

Finally retired my 1949 8N. Purchased a new NH T1520. Everything about the tractor was great until I tried to couple my 3 pt sprayer pump to the new PTO. The coupler slides on about half as far as it should and then it gets very tight. Dealer insisted that I had the wrong size/non standard coupler so I took the coupler to the dealership, showed it to them, installed it on a used JD compact, a new Kubota compact, a new Mahindra compact all with little to no effort. Tried to install it on a new NH T1510 sitting on the lot and had and same problem. I actually stuck on in the 1510 shaft and they had to pry it off with tools. Are NH pto shafts slightly larger or tapered differently than everyone elses? Dealer insists that they are standard. The drive shaft for my mower won't fit either. Dealer ground the leading edge of my pump coupler twice, and with a little extra effort it fits now. I guess he expects me to bring every coupler I have as well as any I buy in the future to him for modification so they will fit?

I've called and emailed NH Top Service and they are very slow to respond. Finally received a call from the dealer. He told me that NH Top Service contacted him and gave him the go ahead to file my PTO shaft down. I told him this was a $16K machine and he was not going to file anything without written consent of NH. That was over a week ago, and its been over eight weeks since I reported the problem initially. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,

/ New Holland T1520 PTO shaft #2  
If the shaft has a burr on it or is otherwise marginally out of spec, what's the big deal with taking a file to it? Let the dealer do his job, and get on with enjoying your new tractor.

/ New Holland T1520 PTO shaft
Thanks for the reply,

I don't believe a burr is the problem, I cannot find one anyway. I also believe that a lot more material needs to be removed than can be removed with a hand file in a resonable amount of time. I believe replaceing broken parts is the dealers job, not sure I agree that modifying parts is. However, the dealer is welcome to fix it however he believes is best. What is causing me trouble is he indicated that it was a "no paperwork needed" fix. Not too long ago I was burned badly by an auto dealer with a no paperwork fix. Thought he was doing me a favor, ended up costing me three times what the orignial problem was.

I guess I don't see why standing behind his fix in writing is unreasonable however minimal the problem or fix. I'm also disappointed in the time it continues to take for NH to respond.

/ New Holland T1520 PTO shaft #4  
Well, I agree with that. There's no reason he shouldn't give you a copy of a work order describing the 'repair' (filing or whatever) of the PTO shaft as a warranty repair. If documantation is important to you it should be done no matter if the service manager thinks it is trivial. That's just good customer relations.

/ New Holland T1520 PTO shaft #5  
I'd like to own one of the files they are using. That must be made of some special super hard steel. My PTO shaft on my new NH is way harder than any file I have ever seen.
Anyway, I've had the same problem. All I had to do was debur it with a scotchbrite pad on my die grinder. It sounds like yours is a lot worse but I discovered my problem the same way as you. The PTO pump on my sprayer didn't fit. It didn't take much to get it in there though. after I polished the crap out of it I parkerized the whole shaft so it wouldn't rust and haven't had a problem since.
It was just rough machining mostly on mine.

FWIW Top service isn't being much help with me either in an ongoing warranty issue. They have recently changed their website but when I first contacted them there was absolutely no mention of what machines they would deal with. Now they say my tractor is too small for them to deal with. It's just one tractor size under the ones they now list on their site. It said basically they would jump through whatever hoops it took to keep your machine running and in the field. My dealer couldn't figure out what was wrong with my tractor and I called top service to get advice. The person I spoke to was a serious moron and offered no help at all. I was so mad I sent the company an email voicing my displeasure and for three days after that they were calling and leaving messages here. When I finally was able to talk to them they told me they would get my tractor fixed or get me a new one.

Well that was almost a month ago. My new tractor is in the shop again right now with the same problem and Top service is nowhere to be found. When my wife called them last week after the engine died again they actually told her they never made any such promises to us about fixing or replacing my tractor.
They never called the area manager to get me a loaner tractor like was promised and they never called my dealer to light a fire under their butts about fixing my tractor.

I paid almost 40,000 dollars for a new tractor that will not stay running more than 15 minutes and I really hope they figure it out this time. I'm fed up with all of the treatment and service I have received from them so far. My livlihood depends on this tractor and I have not been able to rely on it for two months now. I've lost (figuring very conservatively) 6000.00 dollars due to hay I wasn't able to get in in time because it was in the shop or because I had to buy parts out of my own pocket and spend my own time and money fixing it when it should have been working and the dealer didn't have the time to help me.
We're doing everything in writing with them now and all I can say is it really needs to be fixed when they bring it back this time. No more missing bolts, broken parts that they broke while working on it, no more oil leaks that weren't there when they picked it up and it had better run all day and without so much as a hickup. That's what I paid for.

/ New Holland T1520 PTO shaft #6  
If you are losing as much money as you say; hire an attorney to fight the battle.

/ New Holland T1520 PTO shaft
WTA said:
I'd like to own one of the files they are using. That must be made of some special super hard steel. My PTO shaft on my new NH is way harder than any file I have ever seen.
Anyway, I've had the same problem. All I had to do was debur it with a scotchbrite pad on my die grinder. It sounds like yours is a lot worse but I discovered my problem the same way as you. The PTO pump on my sprayer didn't fit. It didn't take much to get it in there though. after I polished the crap out of it I parkerized the whole shaft so it wouldn't rust and haven't had a problem since.
It was just rough machining mostly on mine.

FWIW Top service isn't being much help with me either in an ongoing warranty issue. They have recently changed their website but when I first contacted them there was absolutely no mention of what machines they would deal with. Now they say my tractor is too small for them to deal with. It's just one tractor size under the ones they now list on their site. It said basically they would jump through whatever hoops it took to keep your machine running and in the field. My dealer couldn't figure out what was wrong with my tractor and I called top service to get advice. The person I spoke to was a serious moron and offered no help at all. I was so mad I sent the company an email voicing my displeasure and for three days after that they were calling and leaving messages here. When I finally was able to talk to them they told me they would get my tractor fixed or get me a new one.

Well that was almost a month ago. My new tractor is in the shop again right now with the same problem and Top service is nowhere to be found. When my wife called them last week after the engine died again they actually told her they never made any such promises to us about fixing or replacing my tractor.
They never called the area manager to get me a loaner tractor like was promised and they never called my dealer to light a fire under their butts about fixing my tractor.

I paid almost 40,000 dollars for a new tractor that will not stay running more than 15 minutes and I really hope they figure it out this time. I'm fed up with all of the treatment and service I have received from them so far. My livlihood depends on this tractor and I have not been able to rely on it for two months now. I've lost (figuring very conservatively) 6000.00 dollars due to hay I wasn't able to get in in time because it was in the shop or because I had to buy parts out of my own pocket and spend my own time and money fixing it when it should have been working and the dealer didn't have the time to help me.
We're doing everything in writing with them now and all I can say is it really needs to be fixed when they bring it back this time. No more missing bolts, broken parts that they broke while working on it, no more oil leaks that weren't there when they picked it up and it had better run all day and without so much as a hickup. That's what I paid for.
Sounds like you've got a much larger tractor than mine at $40K. Mine is a small 35hp utility model. However NH website states that TOP Service is "one number: for every customer, every unit and every question. A closed-loop process, with every call followed until its conclusion and the customer is satisfied."
Accordingly your tractor should be covered. At this point I'm not sure that's worth anything though, I become more disappointed in them everyday.