TN70A won't start?

/ TN70A won't start? #1  

Doc_Bob

Elite Member
Tractor
2003 NH TN70A
Well, my TN70A (2003) won稚 start! Power shuttle 8 speed

Battery is fully charged, everything electrical works fine (lights, annoying beeper, etc.). 400 hrs and always stored in cold storage.

When I turn the key to start, everything lights up nice and bright on the dash, but nothing happens when I turn it to the start position.
No clicks, no grinds, nothing.

Started and ran fine 2 days ago for 2 hours.
Oil is good, tranny fluid good.

My guess some relay or switch or something that is somehow telling some computer that I am not in the seat even though I am in the seat. Some safety interlock device??

Any ideas???

Bob

/ TN70A won't start? #2  
clutch in? In my TN75, you don't need to be in the seat, but the clutch needs to be in (pushed down) and the shuttle lever (forward/backward) needs to be in neutral.

clutch in safety switch, seat switch, PTO switch, nuetral switch.

Those would be my guesses.

/ TN70A won't start? #3  
After the dash does its self-test routine, is the PTO light lit? If you push the clutch pedal down slowly, can you hear the pedal switch click when the pedal is about 85% down?

/ TN70A won't start?
RickB said:
After the dash does its self-test routine, is the PTO light lit? If you push the clutch pedal down slowly, can you hear the pedal switch click when the pedal is about 85% down?

I will take a pic of the dash, so that I do not mislead you. it will take a few minutes for me to upload.

Yes, the clutch switch does click about 85% on the way down. but, just like the picture, I will check it and get back to you.

Be back in about 30 minutes.
Bob

/ TN70A won't start?
RickB said:

Answers to your questions.

Yes, at 85% I hear the clutch click.

Here is the picture of the dash lights when the key is turned to the on position.

DSC02366.jpg

Here is the same dash a few seconds later with the key in the on (not start) position.

DSC02365.jpg

RickB, thanks for the help. Have i answered your questions?
Bob

/ TN70A won't start?
LoneCowboy said:
clutch in? In my TN75, you don't need to be in the seat, but the clutch needs to be in (pushed down) and the shuttle lever (forward/backward) needs to be in neutral.

clutch in safety switch, seat switch, PTO switch, nuetral switch.

Those would be my guesses.

Clutch in.
In seat.
Bounced in seat.
PTO switch off.
Neutral switch? Not sure what that is? Can you explain some more?
Bob

/ TN70A won't start? #7  
Questions answered. Time to check the fuses, and check the start solenoid for power when the key is turned to 'start'. The PTO NSS appears to be closed, and the clutch pedal NSS appears to be closing.

/ TN70A won't start?
RickB said:
Questions answered. Time to check the fuses, and check the start solenoid for power when the key is turned to 'start'. The PTO NSS appears to be closed, and the clutch pedal NSS appears to be closing.

So far so good.

I will check the fuses. I will look for the fuses.

I assume some sort of VOM for power to the starter solenoid? I ask since I have never done this before. Any parameters I should look for when hooking up a VOM and engaging the starter?
Bob

/ TN70A won't start? #9  
Doc_Bob said:
Clutch in.

Neutral switch? Not sure what that is? Can you explain some more?
Bob

the powershift shuttle lever (left hand) is in neutral. (and the switch also thinks it's in neutral)

did you check fuses?

/ TN70A won't start? #10  
The only things that I know will not allow the tn's to start is if the shuttle shifter is in forward or reverse, Pto is engaged (light should be lit on dash) and clutch not engaged. Mine is the older style so I don't know if they changed anything but on mine, there is one fuse (10A?) in the fuse box that if blown or removed, will not allow the tractor to start. I have also had connectors come loose on mine. Maybe unscrew the dash cover and make sure all the wires are connected to the key switch?