95' 1715 input shaft pilot bearing clearance

/ 95' 1715 input shaft pilot bearing clearance #1  

fishjett

I'm putting in a new clutch in the ford, and I split the tractor to relace clutch.
pilot bearing was gone or not much left but a little bit of casing. Tried to grind out the casing, ground too much so bored out to next size bearing.
Could anybody tell me if the pilot bearing is flush with the top of the bore?
Or is it recessed.

Thanks,
Ron
95' ford 1715 4wd

/ 95' 1715 input shaft pilot bearing clearance #2  
I've got to do this job also...replacing the pilot/throw-out bearing.

I was wondering, since I don't have to replace the clutch, can I split the tractor at the rear of the Clutch Housing? Seems to me like I could get to the necessary parts through the rear of the Clutch Housing. Machine is a 4WD with double clutch.
JohnnyB

Attachments

• 1715-Clutch-Parts-Sm.jpg
    1715-Clutch-Parts-Sm.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 550
   / 95' 1715 input shaft pilot bearing clearance #3  
Hey I know one of you guys has got answers for us, don't hide, we know you are out there :)
JohnnyB

/ 95' 1715 input shaft pilot bearing clearance #4  
fishjett said:
I'm putting in a new clutch in the ford, and I split the tractor to relace clutch.
pilot bearing was gone or not much left but a little bit of casing. Tried to grind out the casing, ground too much so bored out to next size bearing.
Or is it recessed.

Thanks,
Ron
95' ford 1715 4wd

Ron,

The bearing can not be completely flush, for the fact the bearing inner race has to ride the fingers of the pressure plate without grinding the finger down. I say that but still you need to look at the design of the bearing housing and the bearing itself. A picture if you can snap can help a bit. I'll post a pic later tonight at home that may help. when you clutch release bearing is pushed own on the fingers while the pressure plate is rotating along with the fingers so you can push (cause thrust force to disengage clutch) without damaging the bearing surfaces.

Johnny B,

I don't think there is anyway to replace the bearing without tractor split. You'll have no access to the bearing from where transmission housing is attached to clutch housing. If you look at the split tractor you'll see " it ain't possible"

JC,

/ 95' 1715 input shaft pilot bearing clearance #5  
fishjett said:
Or is it recessed.

Thanks,
Ron
95' ford 1715 4wd

Just to be sure we are talking about the same thing , it's the input shaft pilot bearing that it pressed into the rear of the crankshaft your talking about ? If so the only way is to put a straight edge across the bell housing and measure from the inside edge of the straight edge too the end of the input shaft . Then put a straight edge accross the flywheel housing and measure to where the face of the bearing will be(you may need to use spacers under the straight edge to clear any protrusions and deduct their thickness). I'd allow an 1/8"--3/16" of clearance in front of the spline taper . Which means that you will need to measure the thickness of the new bearing and counterbore the crank to suit .