DX 33 Starting Problem Fixed

/ DX 33 Starting Problem Fixed #11  
Did anyone find this useful?
Hi Steve,

I've been away from the Internet for the last few days. This is a terrific drawing, thanks for your time and effort you put into it. I believe many owners will be using it in the future.

Tim

/ DX 33 Starting Problem Fixed #12  
Here's the drawing with part numbers and notes added...

Attachments

• TC33DStartingCircuitWithNotes.pdf
    49.8 KB · Views: 987
   / DX 33 Starting Problem Fixed #13  
Here's the drawing with part numbers and notes added...
Now there is no excuse to not perform this conversion if you are having problems.

/ DX 33 Starting Problem Fixed
With reference to the inline fuse between the battery/starter cable and the 30A relay. In an earlier picture I believe I saw a 40A fuse. Since it is listed as a 30A relay I used a fuse holder with a 30A automotive fuse. I noticed that SteveInMD showed a 10A fuse. Just wondering what others feel should be used here and why. Anyway, used my tractor today and it started just as it should.

/ DX 33 Starting Problem Fixed #15  
I though this issue might come up.

I believe there is a difference in where I picked up power from the method posted by Jsheds, but I could be wrong. It wasn't clear to me. This might account for the different fuse recommendation. I can tell you that my tractor starts just fine with a 10 amp fuse. If you run a 40 amp fuse you will burn up the 30 amp relay before the fuse blows. With my diagram a fuse smaller than 10 amps may even be sufficient. Tomorrow I'll use an ammeter to see what the max current is with the new circuit when starting under normal conditions.

/ DX 33 Starting Problem Fixed #16  
I chose a 10 amp fuse since that's what the original circuit called for.

Since I'm having trouble locating my ammeter, I did the next best thing. I inserted a 5 amp fuse and tried to start the tractor. It started twice, but on the third try the fuse blew. I attribute this to a slightly lower battery voltage after the third glow plug cycle. And of course as volts go down, current goes up. I then put in a 7.5 amp fuse. I started the tractor a number of times with no problem. Therefore the current under normal conditions must be more than 5 amps but less than 7.5 amps. I'll leave the 7.5 amp fuse in for a while and see what happens. I think a 10 amp fuse is about right. If the tractor sits for a while and the battery isn't topped up the 7.5 amp fuse may blow when you try to start it.

I think the fuse needs to be less than 30 amps to protect the relay. A 25 amp fuse may be acceptable, but a 10 amp is more conservative.

/ DX 33 Starting Problem Fixed #17  
Hard to beat the data from an actual test; like you said 10 amps is probably a very good place to start.

/ DX 33 Starting Problem Fixed #18  
Am I wrong, or does the inline fuse protect the newly installed relay? I just did this and CNH gave me a 25 amp fuse to protect the 30 amp relay. The original fuse will still protect the start circuit.

/ DX 33 Starting Problem Fixed #19  
Yes, the inline fuse protects the new relay. The original circuit has a 10 amp fuse, but we are creating a new circuit here too, so we need to add a new fuse. Others have picked up power at a different point, with other systems drawing on that circuit so a larger fuse may be needed for that method. I've had no problems with a 10 amp fuse on the newly created circuit as show in the drawing.

/ DX 33 Starting Problem Fixed #20  
Guys, I wanted to give this thread a bump. I've had some starting problems with mine and I've replaced tons of stuff chasing my tail on this. I did all sorts of testing on batter voltage, the starter, etc.

Needless to day, I'll be installing a relay this morning....... So I figured I'd bump this so it's fresh in any new owner's mind.

Thanks!!!!!