Elite Member
    Tractor
    JD 4520, Toolcat 5610, Bobcat S300, Case-IH 125 Pro, Case-IH 245, IH 1086, IH 806

Default Glow plug light

I washed my 2002 DX29 (same as TC29D) last week and now have a glow plug problem. When the engine is cold, I can't get the glow plug light to come on and engine is harder to start. Once the engine is warm or if it has been running for awhile, I can shut off the tractor, turn the switch on and now the glow plug light will come on. Once the tractor cools off again, the glow plug doesn't work. Any ideas on the problem?

Tractor
    Case 885, Ford 4000

Default Re: Glow plug light

The glow plug lamp timer relay probably took on water and is now acting goofy. Or some Class II key switches were weak, especially in the contact and soldered connection to the glowplug feed from the switch. Check the key switch first, then the relay. A hair dryer might cure it, but sooner or later the faulty part will need to be replaced.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    JD 4520, Toolcat 5610, Bobcat S300, Case-IH 125 Pro, Case-IH 245, IH 1086, IH 806

RickB

Always helpful as usual. Thanks. Where is the glow plug lamp relay located?

Elite Member
    Tractor

I found the glow plug lamp timer relay under the right rear cover by the switch. Surprised that it actually says glow plug lamp timer right on the outside! Disconnected the key switch and relay connection and cleaned the terminals. Didn't see any water but a little dusty. Reconnected and all works normally. I usually hate most electrical problems but this was an easy fix. Thanks again RickB.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    tc- 29d

A little dielectric grease on all connections will help prevent moisture problems.
    dqdave1; tc-29D; woods 7500 bh; 7308 fel, land pride tiller, land pride rake, gill pulverizer, 60"mmm. , bucket forks , MZ16H

Elite Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by dqdave1 View Post
    A little dielectric grease on all connections will help prevent moisture problems.
    Arg! I should have done that. I even have some dielectric grease.