Anyone ever replace rear axle seal on a TC?

/ Anyone ever replace rear axle seal on a TC? #1  

RoyK

Bronze Member
Tractor
NH TC29D
I need to replace the rear axle seal on my TC29D and was looking for any advice, either on doing the procedure or the cost to have it done by someone else. I've looked at the Exploded parts diagram and it looks like a good bit of work. I would like to get a service manual, but at $300, thats a lot of money. Kind of defeats the cost savings of DIY, not to mention the tractor is down and I don't want to wait around for it to be delivered.

Roy

/ Anyone ever replace rear axle seal on a TC? #2  
I once did it on my 1720, and I think the setup is the same. If so, you'll have to pull the axle housing, which other than the 20 or so nuts, is not a huge job. Once inside the housing theres a little more work to get the seal out. I can't recall if I had to pull the stub axle but I think I did. Must have been easy because I don't even recall that part. You will have to be extra careful on putting the new seal in not to bend it. The 1720 had a special seal that had its own race. In other words, it did not directly seal to the axle. All in all I think it took me most of a day by the time I resealed the housing back onto the differential case with the SuperBlue and retourqued the nuts. You'll need a jack on wheels capable of holding the housing so you can pull it off and set it down to work on.

I'm sure someone will post the parts breakdown form the manual.

/ Anyone ever replace rear axle seal on a TC?
Thanks djradz. After I started this thread I realized I would be needing a new bearing as well, as there was a lot of play in the axle. I finally dove into it yesterday. A lot of preperation disassembly involved; ROPS, linkages, etc. Not knowing how heavy it would be, I used a floor jack. It turns out it weighs 104 pounds. I could have gotten it off unassisted if I had to, but the jack will absolutely be neccessary to get it back on.

If anyone is interested, the first picture shows the axle dropped. The second picture is the gruesome remains of the bearing. Not for the faint of heart!

Attachments

• P8280103ss.JPG
    P8280103ss.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 2,633
  • P8280113ss.JPG
    P8280113ss.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 659
   / Anyone ever replace rear axle seal on a TC? #4  
Wonder why that bearing failed under 1000 hours? Low fluid level, flaw in original bearing, rollover?? Any theories?
Jim

/ Anyone ever replace rear axle seal on a TC? #5  
Wow! That bearing is scary.:eek: Otherwise, it looks like you have this job going very well.

/ Anyone ever replace rear axle seal on a TC?
It was low fluid level. I was doing a big backhoe job when one of the hoses started to leak. I kept working untill I was mostly done. I replaced the hose (PITA) and went back to finish the job. Apparently I lost a lot more fluid than I thought.

I picked up the new bearing and seal yesterday and as soon as I click to submit this, I'm heading out to the garage to put it all back together.

Question: Does anybody know what the bolts that attach this assembly to the gearbox should be torqued to?

Interestingly, I found that the factory never bothered to lock the washer to the nut. Although the nut was still quite tight, I wonder if the other side axle is going to fall out someday.

Attachments

• P8280104cs.jpg
    P8280104cs.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 873
  • P8280104c.jpg
    P8280104c.jpg
    566.9 KB · Views: 586
   / Anyone ever replace rear axle seal on a TC? #7  
My old 1720 manual had a generic bolt torque table in the back of it. Not sure if my TC40D has the same, but you might want to check your owner's manual for something similar. You'll need to determine grade, thread, etc., though.