Gold Member
    Tractor
    Ford 4000 diesel

Default pto clutch support stand 4000 3cyl

Hi everyone I am new to working on the internals of a tractor, I have a 4000 3cyl with independent pto I am having problems with the pto not engaging. I have split the tractor and removed the pto clutch pack assembly the metal sealing rings are leaking inside of the pto clutch support stand, the part that has the pto brake on it. The clutch support has two grooves wore into it from the metal rings on the back of the clutch pack. My question is does the clutch support come from the factory with shallow grooves cut into it to help the metal sealing rings ride in the correct position? or is my clutch support just wore out. Does anyone know where i can get the clutch support?? I have seen the clutch supports everywhere for the 5000 series and up tractors but not for the 4000 series tractors. Sorry for the long post just want everyone to understand what i am talking about. thanks for any info. matt

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Default Re: pto clutch support stand 4000 3cyl

Can't help with where.. or what it looks like ( rickB maybee help there ).. but have you checked CNH online parts listing? lotsa legacy parts support for those old ford tractors out there..

soundguy

Tractor
    Case 885, Ford 4000

The grooves are worn in, not manufactured. A new support will have a smooth bore. The support appears to be available from New Holland, but there is a year break, have your unit code when you order the part.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    2003 NH TN70A

If you can, post some pictures. Everyone loves pics.
    Bob

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Ford 4000 diesel

I have a new holland dealer that can order me one but the dealer part is about 100 dollars more than one of the supports I have found on various tractor parts websites that fit bigger ford tractors than what I have. I figured that if they made an aftermarket support for 5000 series that someone out there would make one for the 4000 series. I would like to save as much money as possible. Does anyone know a good dealer that is fair on their new holland parts and will ship them. I might have to go thru a dealer in the end to get what I need.

Tractor
    Case 885, Ford 4000

Quote Originally Posted by mattman View Post
    I might have to go thru a dealer in the end to get what I need.
    So far as I know, you will have to go to a NH dealer for a new clutch support for a 4000; either side of the year break. Almost any NH dealer will ship you the part assuming you have a valid credit card.; although the dealer sets their own parts pricing. You should replace the sealing rings, clutch piston seals, brake piston seals, and brake pawl while you are in there.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Ford 4000 diesel

I plan on replacing all the internal clutch parts, it is not hard to separate tractor but that sure does not mean i want to do it again in a couple months because i went the cheap route.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

See.. I toldya RickB was the answer man!

soundguy