Any ideas on 2120 intermitent drive problem

/ Any ideas on 2120 intermitent drive problem #1  

JKGMe

Hoping some one has any ideas on problem with 2120 I recently purchased, little history when I looked at it noticed that the tractor would not support its front end with the bucket, owner stated not a problem just needed to be adjusted. So agreed to buy when picked it up all was fine, had if for a month noticed bucket was no longer holding pressure again. Went bailing with it short time after that and when I went to park it it simply stopped moving. Tried to shift differnet gears nothing, then just as quick as it stopped it was back running again. Next problem starting lifting the loader and while holding lever up the loader started to drop as though it had no pressure, then it started to chatter and worked fine, then drive line quits on me again. Try to shift and nothing try operating bucket nothing, then hear gurgeling noise and hydraulic fluid rushing from either around steering column or under right side floor board and tractor is working again. Next time it does it driving down the road lift bucket drive line quits play with the bucket for a minute drive line back up and running again. So I checked the pressure regulating valve on the shuttle shift hyd control valve assembly, spring isnt broken seems fine next time I try the tractor same old same old but notice seems to be constant load on pump when loader control is sitting idle until you use loader control. Main Hydro line coming up into loader control valve is hot going down to the Hydraulic system relief valve-diverter manifold, hotter than all other hydro lines. Tried checking filter screen and changing filter, hydraulic fluid is nice and clean. So there's my dilema any ideas? Sad new Holland owner :(

Last edited:
   / Any ideas on 2120 intermitent drive problem #2  
I am no expert on your tractor, but it seems to me that what you are describing is large air pockets in your hydraulic system. I'd look for air leaks in the suction/supply side of the pump. It could be a faulty filter gasket or a flexible rubber joint in the line coming from the reservoir/filter to the pump. It might also be o-ring seals at these connections.

Again, I am not really familiar with your tractor, but if my hydraulics acted that way, I'd be looking for air leaks. If you have a leak on the pressure side, it squirts fluid, but if the leak is on the suction side, you just inject air into the system causing pump cavitation and erratic movements.

/ Any ideas on 2120 intermitent drive problem
Thanks Jinman for the input ill check that out, hydraulics are fantastic when it works but seem to be a real pain to diagnose. Had a friend take a look at it and his response was "Well now thats just wierd!" , and went on to say maybe there is a restriction in the hydraulic system relif valve diverter manifold. Uhgggg atleast im learning where all this stuff is located :eek:

/ Any ideas on 2120 intermitent drive problem #4  
Hoping some one has any ideas on problem with 2120 I recently purchased, little history when I looked at it noticed that the tractor would not support its front end with the bucket, owner stated not a problem just needed to be adjusted. So agreed to buy when picked it up all was fine, had if for a month noticed bucket was no longer holding pressure again. Went bailing with it short time after that and when I went to park it it simply stopped moving. Tried to shift differnet gears nothing, then just as quick as it stopped it was back running again. Next problem starting lifting the loader and while holding lever up the loader started to drop as though it had no pressure, then it started to chatter and worked fine, then drive line quits on me again. Try to shift and nothing try operating bucket nothing, then hear gurgeling noise and hydraulic fluid rushing from either around steering column or under right side floor board and tractor is working again. Next time it does it driving down the road lift bucket drive line quits play with the bucket for a minute drive line back up and running again. So I checked the pressure regulating valve on the shuttle shift hyd control valve assembly, spring isnt broken seems fine next time I try the tractor same old same old but notice seems to be constant load on pump when loader control is sitting idle until you use loader control. Main Hydro line coming up into loader control valve is hot going down to the Hydraulic system relief valve-diverter manifold, hotter than all other hydro lines. Tried checking filter screen and changing filter, hydraulic fluid is nice and clean. So there's my dilema any ideas? Sad new Holland owner :(

Ditto on all Jim said. Air is compressible but not hyd fluid. With some compressible air in the system , lift and hyd operation is very much unpredictable. I'd look for a source of air leak in to hyd system on the suction side or pressure leak out on the discharge side. One area that is susceptible for leak is pump shaft seal, check for the level of engine oil , if it higher than what it should be and has hyd fluid smell can be a tell tale sign. I'd also check system discharge pressure passed the main pressure relief , that may give some hints.

JC,

Thanks for the additional info JC, i'll try and have a look at it tomorrow and check the oil, maybe ill figure something out. :D

/ Any ideas on 2120 intermitent drive problem #6  
Thanks for the additional info JC, i'll try and have a look at it tomorrow and check the oil, maybe ill figure something out. :D

I think these guys are on the right track. Your transmission and hydraulic system share the hydraulic sump (transmission/rear axle housings), filter, and suction tubes. But the systems have separate pumps, pressure lines and valving. I would concentrate the initial troubleshooting in the area of the hydrailic filter and suction lines. Your problem could easily be a loose or damaged hydraulic filter.

Thanks RickB for your response, Iv given the filter a look over seems to be well seated. Just replaced it along with the fluid last week hoping to solve the problem but to no avail. Im tracking the hoses now to try and find something, still no luck though. Called the local NH dealer and having there road mechanic to come out and give it a once over, and see what he can come up with :( Hopefully ill come out of the deal with atleast one arm and a leg to hobble around with. :eek: