When is it time to change Air Filter?

/ When is it time to change Air Filter? #1  

gregkabob

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TC45DA
Answer: When your blowing black smoke and loss of power!

I took my 45DA to a friends to help fix the road and when I was almost done I started noticing that when I stepped down hard on the pedal (under load) it started throwing black smoke. I have 249 hours on the tractor and I was thinking the worse. Got done what I need to get done and I told him that I needed to get it to the trailer in case there was something really wrong with it. For some reason I thought that just maybe the air filter was dirty since I haven't changed it yet (did take it out and tap it a couple of time prior). Once back by the trailer I took the fillter out gave it a couple of taps on the tire. Some dirt came out but nothing I thought was excessive (not like the shop vac filter). So I took it to his shop and blew it out with air. Again, nothing I would consider execessive. Put it back on the tractor and what do you know, No black smoke under load. Lesson learned. Will stop by my New Holland dealer on Monday and get a new air filter and also review the replacement schedule. I'm so glad it wasn't something terminal.....

Greg

/ When is it time to change Air Filter? #2  
Jeeez
I take mine out and blow it out with compressed air every 25 hours and just replace it every 100 hours. (although it might go as much as 150 hours in the winter, when doing snow, no dust)
I've had them go as little as 16 hours (I HATE mowing Kochia weed)

/ When is it time to change Air Filter? #3  
My machine has a light on the dash that tells me when it dirty (actually 2 filters) and causing to much negative pressure. Do I need to ignore that dash light and change it more often? The air filters cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!
Bob

/ When is it time to change Air Filter? #4  
Greg, I have two outer filters and my inner is still the original. I blow out the outer filters with air and my inner filter looks brand new. I can't imagine the filter you described causing your problem. I think you may have had a little water bubble in your fuel or some other thing that caused your smoking. What was the engine temperature when it did this? Was the temperature fully into the normal range or lower? I know all diesels smoke when under heavy load, especially when you increase the fuel lever. Perhaps you were just blowing out some soot.

I would never discourage you from replacing your filters, but I don't think that is what caused your problem based on the number of hours on your tractor and your description of the filter.

/ When is it time to change Air Filter? #5  
My machine has a light on the dash that tells me when it dirty (actually 2 filters) and causing to much negative pressure. Do I need to ignore that dash light and change it more often? The air filters cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!
Bob

You can use the indicator light and the condition of the filter as well as the tractor's power and smoke levels to determine air filter change intervals. Changing air filters at specific hourly intervals is guaranteed to be a waste of money. Either in needless filter cost, or needless fuel cost. Operating conditions dictate air filter life, not the calendar or hour meter. Just because the original poster couldn't blow or knock debris from his outer air filter doesn't mean it wasn't plugged. It's the fine stuff that really plugs them. 249 hours is beyond the outer edge of average primary air filter life, I would say; particularly if it had never been blown out.

/ When is it time to change Air Filter?
Jinman, The tractor was running in the normal range. Mine always stays about 3/4 the way into the green. I'll check the fule bowl this weekend to see if there's any water in there. I was surprised that the filter wasn't as dirty as I thought it would be to cause this type of problem but after I blew it out it was back to normal operation. I've had mine blow out a bit of smoke under load but this was real heavy black smoke which I've never had it do before. Hopefully it was just something like water or the filter. I'll let you all know if it does it again.

Greg

/ When is it time to change Air Filter? #7  
I have never changed the inner filter on my 40D, but I have the outer. I have two outer filters that I interchange, and once out, wash the dirty one in extremely (liquid laundry detergent) soapy very warm (but not hot) water. Don't however used compressed air to dry it as the filter becomes more fragile when wet.

I'm going to go by the NH dealer at lunch and pick up another filter and will do the same. Looks like they should be able to be cleaned a few times before acutally having to toss them. Thanks ALL.

/ When is it time to change Air Filter? #9  
Greg, since you are in Moore, OK, I have to make a comment about the color of soil in your area. Folks, the Red River between TX and OK is call "red" because it is. Southern OK has some of the reddest soil you could ever imagine. When it rains, all cars in that area turn red.;)

All this is to say that I have a mental picture of Greg's air filter when he removed it. It was probably a bright orangy-red. You just don't want to make a mistake of calling it burnt orange though. People around Moore and Norman don't have a real appreciation of the color burnt orange.:rolleyes:

Jinman, you are so right! I have a bunch of shirts that are permanantly stained red. Lots of work cloths now.

The stuff at the farm is also very hard when dry and the muckiest goo when it's real wet. Have to hit at just the right time if you want to do some digging without getting PO'd and having feet that weight 20 pounds.

Also when it is dry the dirt that blows around is very poudery so I could see how it could clog the filter.

I've given myself ten lashes for not keeping up with the air filter. Won't happen again. I did say sorry to Blue for the neglect:D