3-Point Hitch TC 31 3pt hitch question

/ TC 31 3pt hitch question #1  

Shark75

Tractor
New Holland TC31D
I have a TC 31 with a 72" mid mount mower that uses the 3pt hitch to raise and lower the deck. The past few times while mowing, when I go to raise the deck, the 3 pt hitch will not work, keeping the deck in the down position. If I shut the tractor off with the control lever set in the mow (down) position, then restart, the 3pt hitch control works again and i can raise the deck. If I shut the tractor off and put the 3 pt hitch control in the up position (I know this will not raise with the tractor off) when the tractor is restarted, the 3 pt hitch remains down, and cannot be raised.

Anybody have any ideas as to what is causing this and how to fix it?

Thanks

/ TC 31 3pt hitch question #2  
Sounds to me like you have something binding. On mine the rods with the small springs sometimes bind. I just rub some grease on them. Greg

/ TC 31 3pt hitch question
Sorry to dig up an old post, but I am once again looking for some insight into this problem. As I come to the end of my warranty period, I want all the pesky issues resolved on the dealers dime, not mine. The 3pt hitch works fine until I mow with it. After mowing, which takes approximatyl 1 hour, the 3pt hitch will not function. The motor does not whine or anything, it appears that the lever was never moved. After a "cool-down" period, it begins working as normal. I have changed all filters, and the dealer took it back for a week and tightened a loose plug on the loader control. Sure enough, though, the next time I mowed it did the same thing. On a side note, the loader works fine even when the 3pt will not raise or lower. The dealer is stumped and thinks I am mowing incorrectly:laughing:.

Has anyone witnessed this before?

Thanks guys...

/ TC 31 3pt hitch question #5  
Do you have the same problem with any other attachment in use?

Last edited:
The lift arms and subsequently the mower deck will not raise. It seems to me that it is hydraulic oil temperature related, almost like a valve or bypass is becoming stuck when the fluid is hot. When the fluid cools, the valve or bypass returns to normal and the lift works fine. I am not familiar with the inards of the lift mechanism though, so i am only guessing at this point.

Update: I mowed this weekend, and sure enough the same problem occurred (an hour into mowing and the 3pt hitch arms will not raise). The dealer sent a tech to the house to look at it (while I was mowing). He saw the problem as it was happening, and hooked a pressure gauge to one of the connection points for the loader. He then "dead-headed" the pump while reading gauge pressure (around 1500 psi). After doing this a few times, the e pt hitch starting working normal again. He explained that there is a valve in the loader control that sends oil back to the tank, instead of routing it to the 3 pt hitch cylinder. His guess is there is a piece of dirt making that valve stick, diverting all oil back to tank.He instructed me to just dead head the loader valve whenever it does this to clean out the valve.

Does this sound legit? He repeatedly said there is nothing wrong with the machine, but if it is a piece of dirt why has it been there since new, and not been removed with the 2 new filters that were put on? Sounds to me like they do not want to tear it apart to replace a valve while it is under warranty. My guess is that the valve sticks due to temperature, and should be replaced. Any thoughts?

Thanks

/ TC 31 3pt hitch question #8  
Update: I mowed this weekend, and sure enough the same problem occurred (an hour into mowing and the 3pt hitch arms will not raise). The dealer sent a tech to the house to look at it (while I was mowing). He saw the problem as it was happening, and hooked a pressure gauge to one of the connection points for the loader. He then "dead-headed" the pump while reading gauge pressure (around 1500 psi). After doing this a few times, the e pt hitch starting working normal again. He explained that there is a valve in the loader control that sends oil back to the tank, instead of routing it to the 3 pt hitch cylinder. His guess is there is a piece of dirt making that valve stick, diverting all oil back to tank.He instructed me to just dead head the loader valve whenever it does this to clean out the valve.

Does this sound legit? He repeatedly said there is nothing wrong with the machine, but if it is a piece of dirt why has it been there since new, and not been removed with the 2 new filters that were put on? Sounds to me like they do not want to tear it apart to replace a valve while it is under warranty. My guess is that the valve sticks due to temperature, and should be replaced. Any thoughts?

Thanks

It sounds to me like they are setting you up to say that it's trash in the hydraulic oil that you are responsible for. I wouldn't buy their "solution" for a second. I would demand that they replace the faulty diverter valve or HPL valve. My position would be that I would not use extraordinary means to remove trash that they have only guessed exists. What if it's something binding/sticking? I'd also want them to document that you are having issues within the warranty period and you are not satisfied with the tractor's operation. For the technician to even suggest that he "deadheaded" the pump is wacky. What he did was to put maximum pressure on the hydraulics so that the pressure relief valve lifted. That's something that happens all the time when you are using a loader anyhow. If he truly deadheaded your pump and suggests you do the same, you'll soon be buying a new pump. In my opinion, you are getting the run-around and I would be writing a letter to New Holland soon.

I sent an email to New Holland this morning from the "contact" portion of their website. Is there another way to contact them directly?