New Battery for TC33DA

/ New Battery for TC33DA #1  

droy

Silver Member
Tractor
NH Boomer 55, ZD1211
I know the battery replacement thing has been kicked around quite a bit here, and now that I need to replace the battery on my generator, I'm intending to give it a used tractor battery. Haven't decided between the Optima, or the Odyssey dry cell for the tractor replacement, and wondering if anyone if anyone has anything new to add? Satisfied with their choice, or will try something different next time?
Leaning toward the Optima, fairly sure the base and hold down bolts will have to be modified, also looks like it's going to be a tight fit between the radiator and hood. I havn't found any mention of this, so maybe my eyeball measurements are off. My supplier doesn't stock them, so if I make him order one, it's mine. This prevents me from borrowing one just to check the fit.
I don't really know anything about the dry cell types, cranking amps, extra lights on the tractor, that sort of thing.
Any input would be appreciated

/ New Battery for TC33DA #2  
I went with the Optima for my TC34 - should be identical to your application. My receipt shows it as a Group 51R Yellow Top. The R denotes reverse terminal locations. It fit perfectly - no tight spots. The factory hold downs worked perfectly as well. Plenty of juice to start in the 10 degree F Ohio winter. I run the plow at night a lot, and use the headlights and a pair of rear-facing work lamps. No issues whatsoever. The only downside is the upfront cost. BUT - a dry cell battery is a LOT cheaper than a new radiator. Equipment preservation was my primary goal is going to the Optima. The original battery is still in good shape and will be used in another application. The proper size Optima was unavailable for about 2 years due to manufacturing issues associated with massively ramping up production to support the military's uses in Iraq. I bought mine last fall and it was the first one the battery dealer had seen in 2 years. Let me know if you need anymore information.

/ New Battery for TC33DA
Thanks for the reply, helps alot, to make my decision.

/ New Battery for TC33DA #4  
I have a yellow top Optima model 51R on my TC33D. It works well, but I would consider the standard model 51 if I did it over again. You will end up with the terminals on the proper side by just spinning the battery around 180. This will put the terminals father away from the metal hold down bar. Using the 51R model the hold down bar ends up very very close to the terminals which would create a dead short if something anything came even a little loose.

/ New Battery for TC33DA #5  
I've always been concerned about how close the hold down bar is to the battery terminal posts. I've even gone as far as cutting a small piece of rubber from an old inner tube which I placed under the hold down bar with a little flap which comes up between the bar and the posts to protect them from coming in contact with the bar. I guess it is really only the positive post you need to be concerned about.

/ New Battery for TC33DA #6  
I've always been concerned about how close the hold down bar is to the battery terminal posts. I've even gone as far as cutting a small piece of rubber from an old inner tube which I placed under the hold down bar with a little flap which comes up between the bar and the posts to protect them from coming in contact with the bar. I guess it is really only the positive post you need to be concerned about.
Can you dip the metal hold-down bracket in Plasti-coat to insulate it? Just a thought.

/ New Battery for TC33DA #7  
Can you dip the metal hold-down bracket in Plasti-coat to insulate it? Just a thought.

That's a really good idea, I believe you could dip it or paint it on.

/ New Battery for TC33DA #8  
I replaced the factory battery in my TC45D about 2-1/2 years ago. I chose an Optima red top. It has been flawless since I installed it. I had installed a battery box to keep the acid from the OEM battery in check, so I just dropped in the Optima and put a piece of padding around it to help hold it in place during rough operation. Here's a picture.

Attachments

• battery3.JPG
    battery3.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 983
   / New Battery for TC33DA #9  
If you use a model 51 your cables will end up in a similar location to Jinman's, which is good. If you use a model 51R they will end up very close to the hold down strap on a TC33.

/ New Battery for TC33DA
Once again, thanks to all.
Went to a starter/alternator repair shop in nearby small town, where the owner told me he could order Optimas; he can, but when he called his supplier for a D51 yellow top, he was told they didn't carry that particular one, (huh?!!).
Supplier then told owner to tell me that I should go to a certain chain type automotive parts house, more than likely an "in stock" item and probably cheaper also, (HUH?!!). So I guess I'm heading to the parts house tomorrow.

jinman,
Is that hydraulic oil cooler in your photo the stock unit? No hose clamps, or the soft rubber hoses that like to leak? Jealousy rears it's ugly head.