TC26DA No Pulling Power

/ TC26DA No Pulling Power #1  

HUCKthe1

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 2032
I have had my TC26 for a year now. I am very disappointed on the pulling power that it has. I have had the dealer look at it twice ($350 transport fee each time) and he has told me the pump is putting out the maximum pressure yet if I put a 2x4 in front of the back tire in high gear, the tractor just sits there. I mean no wheel spin just a little whine out of the hyd pump. In low it seem okay but I have been in situations that I have been pulling snow or dirt with my BB and the tractor would just stop, no tire spin no bogging down of the engine, just stop. I have trying to drive on a 5% grade with no load in high and had to shift to low because of this problem too.

I know I am out of warranty but I am ready to make a trade if I cant get something done with this problem. I would love to have my 12 yr old 1320 back over this non moving fuel hog. Might be time for me to look for a new color.

Anyone have a clue what is going on or are all TC26's this week in pulling/pushing power?

/ TC26DA No Pulling Power #2  
Did you buy it new? If it is only a year old it should still be under warranty unless you are over 2,000 hours - which I doubt. In high range these tractors will have very little power. Compare it to your truck or car with a manual transmission. Put it in 5th gear and try to go from a dead stop. Didn't get far did you? Also make sure you aren't using the hydro pedal like an accelerator pedal in a car. Yes, it makes you go faster the more you press on it, but you lose power. About 1/4 of the way is where I have found my 24D makes the most power. And yes there are times depending on the traction that I have that it won't spin the tires or won't act like it is pulling, but I know that it is. I pull a 5' box blade, a middle buster, a subsoiler, and an almost 7k pound camper (like it was nothing by the way) so I know it is putting the power to the ground.

/ TC26DA No Pulling Power #3  
What RPM are you running at? If you are not experienced with Hydrostatic Transmissions, I suspect you may be running at too low RPMs and are using the HST pedal like an accelerator. It is really an infinitely adjustable torque adjuster. It you want maximimum torque at the wheels, you must be in the lowest gear range, RPM at ~2600, and the slightest pressure on the pedal - you will move slowly, but you'll be amazed at how much torque you can get. It is not good for diesel engines to be bogged down so much that they "cut out."

Along the same lines, it is interesting how little torque my TC40D HST has while running in Rabbit (High) II.

/ TC26DA No Pulling Power
Jim and Chris,
I have the throttle set to 2000 rpm and on level ground it will not climb over a 2x4. The engine is not straining nor is the hydraulic pump straining. No wheel spin either. I just feel I got a lemon in pulling strength. It seems there is something not right. I have had a hydrostatic tractor for 15 years and never had any problems with my old tractor. I feel my dealer is taking advantage of me too charging for pickup of my tractor and say there is nothing they can do after charging $350 round trip (30 miles). I don't own a truck but even with high cost of fuel I could do this for much less. How do you know how long the warranty is good for?
In low pulling snow my BB with snow, I have had it stop pulling with a medium load. Again no load on the engine, no tire spin, just stop.
I won't be home for a few weeks but feel I might give my dealer one more chance. Maybe. I was hoping someone here had a clue to what would cause the problem I am having.

/ TC26DA No Pulling Power #5  
It says right in my TC33 manual that the high gear is strictly for road use only, and they recommend 2wd in that mode. I suspect I would have trouble getting over a 2x4 in that gear at 2000 RPMs as well. Double-check your owner's manual -- it might mention something about running ground engaging implements in low gear only.

I *have* noticed that the tractor will sometimes just stop in medium gear if I'm running at 2000 RPMs and I'm backing up a steep incline, but I just bump it up to 2500 - 3000 RPMs, it'll move right along. There just doesn't seem to be much torque at the 2000 RPM mark, and the sweet spot seems to be somewhere between 2500 and 3000.

My father-in-law is used to an older tractor, and when he was using mine, he kept trying to run it 1500 RPMs - 2000 RPMs and wasn't making much headway until I had him bump it up to 2500 RPMs.

-Steve

/ TC26DA No Pulling Power #6  
.....How do you know how long the warranty is good for? ....

It was in my manual. It was 2 years/2,000 hours bumper to bumper and 3 years/3,000 powertrain. Implements are warranteed for 12 months. See this page NewHolland.

So far you haven't told me anything that sounds out of the ordinary other than the snow, don't take this the wrong way, but could you be pushing on the pedal harder than you think? I've found myself doing that. I'll be using it and all of a sudden it starts to lose power and I realize I've "floored" it. Back off and away we go.

/ TC26DA No Pulling Power #7  
I have the throttle set to 2000 rpm and on level ground it will not climb over a 2x4. The engine is not straining nor is the hydraulic pump straining. No wheel spin either.

My tractor will not spin tires in high gear either. Try putting your bucket against the base of a big tree with the wheels on dirt. Put the RPM to 2600 and put it in the lowest gear possible. Barely push the HST pedal down - what happens?

/ TC26DA No Pulling Power #8  
My tractor will not spin tires in high gear either. Try putting your bucket against the base of a big tree with the wheels on dirt. Put the RPM to 2600 and put it in the lowest gear possible. Barely push the HST pedal down - what happens?

I'm not Peter, but I've actually done that with the front bumper. I bent it pulling it out when I was stuck. Thought it would push it back in. It didn't do anything. No spinning of the tires, no bending of the bumper. Just pressure valve kicking. Ended up using a sledge hammer and beating the bumper back in place. So with my experience and what he is describing I don't think there is anything wrong with his tractor. Mine won't do that, but yet it will pull its little heart out with the box blade or other things.

/ TC26DA No Pulling Power #9  
I have had some of this experience with my DX33 which has three ranges. I was suprised to find that if I put the bucket against a tree it would not choke the engine or spin the wheels (just does not go). In 1st range it will spin the wheels. In range three which is mostly a road gear I have not had a problem. It will take off just fine going up a hill into the highway up my driveway. However, in range three I don't believe it will travel much over 10 mph. The book says 15. Last summer I got somewhat stuck trying to scoop some dirt out of a pond and it would not back up the bank. I then remembered to use range 1 in 4 wheel drive and it came out. I questioned a dealer once and he told me nothing was wrong with it but just the nature of a hydrostat. Even though the tractor works especially good at what I use it for I don't think I would buy another one because of this. I do have a friend with a Kubota hydrostat and he says his will choke the engine down pulling. Wish mine would.