1520 runs hot

/ 1520 runs hot #11  
My Ford 1300 (1979) was running hot with the rotary cutter also. Pulled the radiator and found most of the air flow was stopped around the edges by years of dust and seeds I did not get blown out. I made a cleaner (small strip of plastic cut to correct width) and ran thru each space.Now runs cool as new.

/ 1520 runs hot
I'm thinking more and more that my radiator is probably clogged with dirt, so I'd better get that taken care of. But going to a 4 ft cutter is a good idea, too.

Thanks for all the replies!

/ 1520 runs hot #13  
I have a 1520 and a Bush Hog RZ60 5'. I use the RZ60 to cut weeds and tall grass which is what the light duty RZ60 is intended for. The tractor handles it fine on my hilly terrain. The tractor has plenty of power for this and handles the weight of the RZ60 also. I did borrow a slightly heavier mower from someone years ago and it did feel too heavy on the tractor. I like my RZ60, but would not want anything heavier. But as far as power is concerned, running the RZ60 is easier than a 5' tiller or 5' snowblower all of which the tractor runs fine.

I do watch and clean the screen often when doing this. And I have occasionally cleaned the radiator with water being very careful to not bend the fins.

/ 1520 runs hot #14  
Gocatgo, how about the air filter? It can also cause it to run hot. Are you sure you don't have a brake not fully disengaged? Are you running at a faster ground speed as you know the tractor and field so well? As to trying a four foot cutter, why can you not just move over with your's taking a narrower swath? Have you checked the cutter to be sure it is turning freely, blades in good shape? Do check the air filter. kt

/ 1520 runs hot
kt,
I did put a new air filter in it only a few weeks ago. I have been cutting some pretty thick and tall grass, so I think maybe I should not be so greedy as to cut it as low as I want or a full swath on the first pass. AND work on the radiator to keep it cleaner. I'm already meticulous about the screen. I think this tractor is just very picky about wanting to run hot I guess. That's the only complaint I have about it after many years so that's pretty good.

Thanks for all the input and suggestions. Very helpful!

BTW I found Wix replacement oil and air filters at O'Reilley's Auto Parts.

/ 1520 runs hot #16  
Gocatgo,
If you haven't washed your radiator, you will be surprised at the mud that comes out. I soak mine with water and let it sit for a few hours. Then wash again with clean water from the back and front sides. Lots of gunk accumulates deep in the fins that you can't see.
The only other thing I can add is to be sure you are running your RPMs up to recommended speed for the PTO. If you are running at lower RPMs the engine will bog and run hot under heavy loads.
Good luck.

/ 1520 runs hot #17  
Spray the radiator with a cleaning solution/degreaser; then hose it off from both sides. I assume your battery is in front of the radiator; remove it so you can clean the whole area. If you are careful; you can use a pressure washer, just don't bend the fins, a 1200 to 1800 psi pressure washer will clean the radiator well. After doing this, start tractor with radiator cap off and let engine come up to operating temp. Check coolant flow. You should be able to see flow after thermostat opens. When was the last time you changed antifreeze? Should be done yearly. If you need to change antifreeze, I would flush system with a flushing agent before replacing with new antifreeze.

/ 1520 runs hot
Hmm, it's been several years since I flushed and refilled the radiator. I didn't realize it had been that long. I will do that. Also, a good idea about the cleaner/degreaser for the radiator, I will do that, too.
And when running the PTO I always make sure to run the rpm's up to the little PTO icon on the tach. The cutter doesn't bog there, so I hope that's enough.

/ 1520 runs hot #19  
I have a 1520 also and just this last weekend it started to run hot with the 5' brushhog. as I read this post I thought i got screwed when I read that a 1520 was rated at 23 and 18 hp cuz the dealer said it was 35 engine and 28 pto. went back th NH site and yes it is 35 engine and 28 pto. so using the 5hp/foot of cutter would still be ok with the 5' hog. Better yet, the radiator discussions were good . didn't realize the fines could build up and not even be able to see them. will blow out rad next weekend with leaf blower. Once again TBN to the rescue.:):)

/ 1520 runs hot #20  
I have a 1520 also and just this last weekend it started to run hot with the 5' brushhog. as I read this post I thought i got screwed when I read that a 1520 was rated at 23 and 18 hp cuz the dealer said it was 35 engine and 28 pto. went back th NH site and yes it is 35 engine and 28 pto. so using the 5hp/foot of cutter would still be ok with the 5' hog. Better yet, the radiator discussions were good . didn't realize the fines could build up and not even be able to see them. will blow out rad next weekend with leaf blower. Once again TBN to the rescue.:):)

Two completely different tractors. The prior model 1520 was indeed 23 engine / 18 pto. Your 1520 is directly comparable horsepower-wise to the 1920 model of that vintage.