1520 runs hot

/ 1520 runs hot #1  

gocatgo

Tractor
Ford 1520
Hello, I'm new to the forum and am glad I found the site.
I'm not new to my 1520, however, but don't know anyone else that has one so I haven't been able to compare experiences. I have a 5 ft brush hog, and mow moderate to heavy pasture grass with it. It has always not been able to run very long without the temperature gauge getting to the red zone. Less than half an hour. Yes, I keep the screen cleaned off, and try to keep the front of the radiator sprayed off clean but it's hard to get to it. I've had it since it was new, the dealer has looked at it regarding this but they just tell me to keep the screen clean. Is a 5 ft brush hog too much for the 1520? It was bought as a package with the tractor and front end loader. It's otherwise been a good tractor.
Thanks in advance for any input.

BTW I changed the thermostat already, no difference.

Opps, sorry, I posted in the wrong subforum.

Last edited:
   / 1520 runs hot #2  
If the only time you have a heating problems is when you are using the five (5) foot rotary cutter I think you have identified the cause of your heating problem. I have always liked at least (5) PTO horsepower for each foot of rotary cutter. The New Holland 1520 is rated at 23 engine horsepower and 18.5 PTO horsepower. Some like large rotary cutters on a small tractor. In my opinion continued use of a too large implement on a tactor will cause engine and drive line problems. I personally would not use a rotary cutter larger than 4 foot of a 1520.

/ 1520 runs hot
Thanks for the reply, Gator. I have always suspected that the 5 ft was too much for the 1520, but the dealer insisted it was fine when I purchased it, and I've told him of my concern since then and he continued to insist that was not a problem. I think I will go ahead and trade for a 4 ft (but not from that dealer!), I would feel much better about it.

/ 1520 runs hot #4  
gocatgo:

Welcome to TBN :D! That 5 HP/PTO:1' attachment "rule of thumb" really applies to heavy duty rotary cutters, but you are cutting it close with your 1500. It may be related to what kind of vegetation you are cutting. The only other thing I can think of is if your diesel fuel from your dealer has had an increased kerosene additive in your diesel fuel "mix". Jay

/ 1520 runs hot #5  
I had a Ford 1520 which I ran with a 5' belly mower for years. Never had an issue with overheating, and it was rated in the manual for a 6' mower. Of course this was lawn grass, nothing very thick like brush etc. I guess if it doesn't overheat when performing any other tasks other than bushogging, than you have to figure thats the cause. I would want to test it to be sure, maybe adjusting the cutting height to its highest setting and seeing if it ran longer before overheating, not sure what else you can do short of swapping it out with a 4' unit. Maybe the dealer would let you test one out before you swapped the units. Best of luck, I loved that 1520, an excellent machine.

/ 1520 runs hot #6  
You might try blowing out the radiator out from behind wih a leaf blower or compressed air, and then flushing with a water hose until the water runs clear. A lot of users have had very similar issues, and found a partially clogged radiator to be the cause. Just be careful not to bend any fins in the process. Hope this helps you as it has a number of others.

/ 1520 runs hot #7  
I think you might have reached the limit of 1520. If I were you would try to find and borrow a 4' wide brush hog and expose to the same work, if overheating again then at least you know one possibility you have removed.

JC,

/ 1520 runs hot #8  
I always blow out the rad from behind with my compressor but my yanmar started overheating so I replaced the rad cap,but that didn't cure the problem so I took the rad. off yesterday and all the fins around it were clogged due to the shroud and not being able to get to those areas with the air.I also flushed it and the block and plan on replacing all the hoses and fan belt.

/ 1520 runs hot
I never thought about cleaning out the radiator from behind. It IS really hard to get to, and may have some dust-turned-to-mud that I can't see. Is it safe to take a "soft" long handled brush and try to clean out the fins? I'll try compressed air, also. I've been going at it with the garden hose :)
Otherwise this tractor is great.

/ 1520 runs hot #10  
I never thought about cleaning out the radiator from behind. It IS really hard to get to, and may have some dust-turned-to-mud that I can't see. Is it safe to take a "soft" long handled brush and try to clean out the fins? I'll try compressed air, also. I've been going at it with the garden hose :)
Otherwise this tractor is great.

You need a lot of volume. I use my electric leaf blower that does a great job, even better than compressed air.

JC,