Oil & Fuel Time for Hyd./Trans oil change.

/ Time for Hyd./Trans oil change. #1  

RobertBrown

Elite Member
Tractor
Bolens G192/TS1910 Ford/New Holland 1920
I've got a Ford/NH 1920 with 900 hours and the gears don't always mesh the way I would like them too, sounds like the synchronizers might be a little worn.
I don't think the Hyd.trans oil has ever been changed. This tractor has a shuttle shift and a loader. Before I drain the 30 qts of oil and refill, I'm hoping to get some guidance from some of you more experienced owners.
Is there anything special I should do to try and get the oil from the loader rams and hoses?
How about traped air in same?
Where does one dispose of that much oil?
Is there a specific manufacturers oil that is better within the NH specification?
Is there a technique that make this task more effective?
Thanks for any suggestions you offer in advance. I really apreciate TBN and all of you guys, it's a great site.
RB

/ Time for Hyd./Trans oil change. #2  
I use OEM spec oil from my local NH dealer.
My TN70A takes 11.1 gallons.
I drain it into 3 x 5 gallons pails.
Take to the local hazardous waste dump.
I change all the filters .
I buy the filters at Messick's | New Holland, Case IH, Kubota, Cub Cadet | Parts, Sales & Service.. Saves me the tax.
I don't worry about the hoses considering it is diluted by 11.1 gallons.

I wear vinyl gloves, eye protection and old clothes!

Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bob

/ Time for Hyd./Trans oil change. #3  
For the hoses, you can disconnect them and drain them by gravity. But, after the first one, you may tire of it.
Bob

/ Time for Hyd./Trans oil change.
"For the hoses, you can disconnect them and drain them by gravity. But, after the first one, you may tire of it."
Bob

Is there any issue with the air that is trapped in the hose after the oils is drained. Where does it go?

/ Time for Hyd./Trans oil change. #5  
Is there any issue with the air that is trapped in the hose after the oils is drained. Where does it go?

On my TN70A, the oil just sits in a sump and the air just is "released" back into the atmosphere. I hope someone with more knowledge than myself can confirm or deny my comments.:D
Bob

/ Time for Hyd./Trans oil change. #6  
"For the hoses, you can disconnect them and drain them by gravity. But, after the first one, you may tire of it."
Bob

You will probably have more fluid left inside the reservoir/transmission than there will be in any cylinders. I don't know anyone who worries about the small amount of oil left in the FEL. When you finish changing oil, just cycle the FEL a few times to remove any trapped air. It's almost a non-issue. Just drain your sump, change the filter(s) and refill. You'll be good to go.

I doubt your problem with the synchronizers has anything to do with oil. Sure, you need to change it, but don't expect any significant change in your shifting problems. That's probably something else.

/ Time for Hyd./Trans oil change. #7  
On my TN70A, the oil just sits in a sump and the air just is "released" back into the atmosphere. I hope someone with more knowledge than myself can confirm or deny my comments.:D
Bob

Ultimately you are correct. The air that would end up in the hoses and/or cylinders will become displaced by oil after some number of extend/retract cycles and then be vented to the atmosphere. Not a big deal, just a little time. As others have noted, just drain the sump and forget about hoses and cylinders.

/ Time for Hyd./Trans oil change.
o.k.
I get it, no big deal. Thats what I figured but just needed some reassurance, that's whats great about TBN.
hope I can help you guys some day.
Thanks Jinman, Doc-bob, and Opti-mist.
RB

/ Time for Hyd./Trans oil change. #9  
o.k.
I get it, no big deal. Thats what I figured but just needed some reassurance, that's whats great about TBN.

yes, TBN is good for advice.
Very helpful.
Bob