4000 lift problems

/ 4000 lift problems #1  

mattman

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti DK 35
I have a 68 4000 the lift does not want to pick up my bush hog. It lifts the hog real slow or it just picks the front off the ground not the whole hog. I have tried moving the draft lever up or down same thing. If I move the hudraulic lever all the way up and mash the draft lever down with my hand up comes the hog. It is like the draft lever is not going all the way down when you flip it down. The extra pressure that I apply with my hand is controlling the lift via the draft lever if I let off the draft lever the hog stops coming up and stays at whatever position it was at when I stop mashing the draft lever. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance

/ 4000 lift problems #2  
Sounds like a linkage problem to me. it's all speculation, and any of it will require removing the lift cover, but it could be as simple as a worn cam follower pin.

/ 4000 lift problems
It would not be such a big thing about the lift being hard to make raise except that there is alot of terrresses to go over. it is hard to control the lift while going over the terresses I either raise it to much or drag the hog thru the dirt. I may or may not try to fix it the tractor is to big for what I need. I need a smaller tractor about a 40 horse.

/ 4000 lift problems #4  
I have a 75' 4000 that I am currently rebuilding the lift on. There are several things that might cause this (worn control valve and bushing, pump, bad o rings). However, I agree, It does sound like you do have a linkage problem. I will try to explain what is likely happening. Bolted to the back of the liftcap (the part that your seat is bolted too) there is a cylinder looking casting that your three point yoke is attached to. Inside that casting, there is a big spring. You can feel it by running your fingers underneath the casting as it is open. The draft works off of compression and tension of that spring from the implement being used (normally a plow). If the plow point runs too deep, the toplink mount becomes compressed, which pushes in on that spring. Inside the lift cap, there is a actuator arm that is connected to the spring and links up with the lift cylinder control valve steem. The actuator pushes in on the control valve steem, which causes the lift to raise the plow up enough to release the compression on the toplink. If I move the hudraulic lever all the way up and mash the draft lever down with my hand up comes the hog. It is like the draft lever is not going all the way down when you flip it down. The extra pressure that I apply with my hand is controlling the lift via the draft lever if I let off the draft lever the hog stops coming up and stays at whatever position it was at when I stop mashing the draft lever.The likely reason this is happening is because your quadrant lever (hydraulic lever as you call it) is not adjusted correctly to control the control valve steem. The control valve steem is about 6" long and it slides back and forth in a bushing. The valve has shoulders on it that either blocks the fluid or allows it to pass by and go into the lift cylinder. This is what raises your lift. It sounds like to me that when the quadrant lever is raised all the way up, the control valve steem is not pushed in far enough to properlly allign the valve's shoulders in the correct position to allow the fluid to go into the lift cylinder. The reason your lift works when you apply pressure to the draft lever is becasue the additional pressure you are appying causes the actuator arm to push the contol valve steem into the proper position to allow the fluid to pass, thus raising the lift.

If this is what is wrong, the good news is that it is a easy fix. Go by you a IT shop manual for your tractor. You can get these off the internet or at Tractor Supply. The manual tells you step by step how to adjust this. You will need to remove the lift cap to make the adjustment. To do this, you will need a engine hoist. The lift cap and clylinder weigh at least 100 pounds, and the cap sits on top of the pressure tube coming from the pump. You will need to be able to lift slowly to keep from damaging the tube or the lift cap. Also, the pressure releif valve is screwed into the end of the lift cylinder. You will need to lift the back of the lift cap up a little before the front so you are able to get the pressure relief valve out of the housing. This may be more than you want to tackle, but if you need any advice, e-mail me and I will be glad to help you any way I can. It would take a tractor mechanic around 2-3 hours labor to do this, plus a new gasket for the lift cap. I hope this helps you out.