1900 ring and pinion

/ 1900 ring and pinion #1  

Hooked_on_HP

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1900 FWD Kubota F2100E
Last weekend I broke the front ring and pinion in my 1900. I called my local NH dealer to get a price on a new one. The parts guy asked if I was sitting down $1020.WOW!!! I did some searching and partsspring is the cheapest I have found at $887. I have e-mailed at least 20 different salvage yards, 3 have responded, no dont have it.The rest havent replied at all. This tractor was manufactured by Shibura for Ford. Do you think there is a chance of gettin it from Shibura. If anyone has any other ideas I would be glad to hear them.
Bill

/ 1900 ring and pinion #2  
WOW !!!! Now there is a good reason to update. The older models, either you can't get parts or if you can no one can afford them. I don't believe a salvage yard would split up a complete front axle for individual pieces. Good luck on your search.

/ 1900 ring and pinion #3  
I blew a front ring and pinion in my 2120 many years ago when it was a current model. The cost to repair by dealer was just over $1600.

Andy

/ 1900 ring and pinion #4  
Happened to me on my Mitsubishi MT180D as well.
Prices were all over the place going from $8-$1200 a set.
(And I'm classified as 'obsolete' and Mitsus are generally 'greys")
Finally located a pair for $400 or so (new and imported direct from Japan via a dealer within a delay of less than 2 weeks all told)

Oh, and in my case the 6 machine screwes that held the ring gear attached worked themselves loose from the cage and were found in the bottom all chewed up.
Stupid fold over tin tabs did not hold.
I drilled and wirelocked the bold heads as well as 'lock tighted' them.
So far (5 yrs) working OK.

/ 1900 ring and pinion
Well so far I haven't found a used ring and pinion. It looks like I am going to have to get a new one. The one thing that realy got me mad was I e-mailed almost 30 salvage yard and places that sell used parts. Only 4 of them were curtious enough to reply that they didn't have the part. If I need any other part those 4 will be the ones I try first.

/ 1900 ring and pinion #6  
Maybe someone in Japan can get the parts cheaper.

/ 1900 ring and pinion #8  
Use the web to search parts dealers in Japan and have them ship them to you if the price is right. Like PLiloon said in an above statement.

/ 1900 ring and pinion #9  
Maybe someone in Japan can get the parts cheaper.

That would prove very complicated as
A; language would be a problem and
B; serial numbers / assy no's also come to play.
(not the whole series may use same part numbers and even that can change from unit to unit due to tire sizes.)

With Mitsubishi I lucked out as I needed to confirm the pitch (teeth) to attain correct ratios.
We accomplished that via Email but that was direct with Mitsubishi factory but still needed to order via the USA distributer.

What you'd need to do is deal directly with the MAIN USA distributer to get parts breakdown before you could even attempt to go that route.

Also shurely as in the auto industry a whole number of sub contractors are probably involved, but who of us knows who the actual subcontractor for what part is in Japan, Korea or Tiawan?

/ 1900 ring and pinion #10  
WOW !!!! Now there is a good reason to update. The older models, either you can't get parts or if you can no one can afford them. I don't believe a salvage yard would split up a complete front axle for individual pieces. Good luck on your search.

It's not the age.. it's the amount produced...

plenty of older tractors produced in much more number tht still have great parts availability.

soundguy