Front Spindle Greasing - TC 21D

/ Front Spindle Greasing - TC 21D #1  

kwright

Tractor
NH TC21D Boomer w/60
I feel a little naive asking this question, as I'd think the answer would be obvious... but dang if I've figured it out yet.

My TC21D owners manual indicates in the "Maintenance & Lubrication" section that the front spindles need to be greased. I believe this refers to the steering rods and where they connect to the front axles via the ball-type joint.

In any event, my front spindles don't seem to have any grease fittings -- assuming I'm looking in the right place. The spindle joint has a rubber boot, but no grease fitting of any kind.

Clearly, the spindle ball joints need greasing, so what am I missing?

Thanks!

/ Front Spindle Greasing - TC 21D #2  
I believe that you are talking about the steering knuckle, king pin, etc. I believe the 4wd ones are lubed by the oil in the gear box at the end of the axle housing. The 2wd version should have grease fittings. Also the wheel bearings on a 2wd would have to be packed.

/ Front Spindle Greasing - TC 21D #3  
Kelly - Your manual might be different, but on pages 3-2 & 3-3 of my manual (86597086 7/99)it points out the grease points of the TC21D... A few things that I see...

page 3-2: The lower portion of the left column identifies the 8 areas for greasing.

page 3-3: Front spindles - 2wd only. The spindles are the small axles that the wheel turns on and turns the wheel. The 4wd system seems to bath this area in the front end final reduction gear oil.

The "front axle pivot" mentioned on this page refers to the center pivot for the non-SS axle (is the tC21D even available with SS?).

One thing that I have done is to cover every grease fitting with those bright yellow plastic caps. It helps keep dirt out, and it's easier to find each point next time...

Good luck,

Steve

/ Front Spindle Greasing - TC 21D #4  
<font color=red>"One thing that I have done is to cover every grease fitting with those bright yellow plastic caps. It helps keep dirt out, and it's easier to find each point next time..."
</font color=red>

that is one out-freakin'-standin' idea, Steve!!!

The only thing I might add is to count the fittings each time to ensure you get 'em all.

Boy, I was going to do that quote in yellow...didn't show up at all though!

/ Front Spindle Greasing - TC 21D #5  
Where can I find these yellow plastic caps? It would be so much easier to grease the tractor if I didn't have to clean off to grease points so much. Where, WHERE? I want them.

Peter

/ Front Spindle Greasing - TC 21D #6  
   / Front Spindle Greasing - TC 21D
Thanks for all the replys...

I don't believe I was clear in the original description of my issue... What I should have asked about is greasing the front STEERING LINKAGE. There's no grease fitting that I can find at the point where the steering arm attaches to the wheel, only a rubber boot.

What am I missing??

Thanks again...

/ Front Spindle Greasing - TC 21D
Steve... Your manual is the same as mine - I just looked. It isn't very specific regarding greasing the steering linkage, though. The manual makes a generic reference to "lubrication points" and lists the steering linkage as one of the areas, but that's it. No fittings of any kind, only a rubber boot.

Actually, the info about greasing the 3-point linkage seems similar - I've yet to find any fittings, but rather simply piviot points that may be lubricated.

The yellow caps are a neat idea, think I'll do the same. Thanks for the tip.

/ Front Spindle Greasing - TC 21D #10  
Peter - I'd send you some of mine, but I was going to put the remaining 242 covers on my Cat 225 (not really)... even though it has about 10,000 grease points (again, not really).

Think of it this way... you'll have a lifetime supply!