Tractor Number vs. Engine number?

/ Tractor Number vs. Engine number? #1  

CCWKen

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford-3910, JD-420C, Kenbota-Custom, IH-2606
I just got around to cleaning up the 1986 3910 I picked up a few months ago. I was able to brush all the stampings and record them but what I found is the engine number doesn't match the tractor number. The tractor number matches the under hood decal but not the engine. Were the engines produced on a separate factory line then mated to the tractor? Is the engine serial number supposed to match the tractor number?

Tractor Number: C759932 (Hood Decal)
RH Case Stamp: C759932 (6D15B)
Engine Stamp: C889578 (6A9A)

Added: Notice the engine serial number is higher but the date stamp is earlier. ????? Whut up wit dat?

/ Tractor Number vs. Engine number? #2  
It is a hybrid :D
Bob

/ Tractor Number vs. Engine number? #3  
I just got around to cleaning up the 1986 3910 I picked up a few months ago. I was able to brush all the stampings and record them but what I found is the engine number doesn't match the tractor number. The tractor number matches the under hood decal but not the engine. Were the engines produced on a separate factory line then mated to the tractor? Is the engine serial number supposed to match the tractor number?

Tractor Number: C759932 (Hood Decal)
RH Case Stamp: C759932 (6D15B)
Engine Stamp: C889578 (6A9A)

Added: Notice the engine serial number is higher but the date stamp is earlier. ????? Whut up wit dat?

If engine numbers matched the chassis number, there would be no need for engine serial numbers. Care to guess how many models of tractors and other equipment use that same engine model? Also many models of engines are serialed together, just as all models of tractors from a particular factory are.

/ Tractor Number vs. Engine number?
If engine numbers matched the chassis number, there would be no need for engine serial numbers. Care to guess how many models of tractors and other equipment use that same engine model? Also many models of engines are serialed together, just as all models of tractors from a particular factory are.
Good point. So why even have an engine serial number? I've never had to give the engine number when ordering parts. It's always the tractor number. There's no mention of the engine number on the ID tag so other than being recorded on some assembly sheet somewhere, if that, what good is the number? How would anyone know if the engine was changed?

/ Tractor Number vs. Engine number? #5  
Good point. So why even have an engine serial number?

There is value to the manufacturer in tracking production, and where specific units are in the case of a run of bad parts or faulty assembly. Also, there are instances where engines are supplied to other manufacturers for installation in their equipment, or sold as power units (generators, irrigation pumps).

I've never had to give the engine number when ordering parts. It's always the tractor number. There's no mention of the engine number on the ID tag so other than being recorded on some assembly sheet somewhere, if that, what good is the number?

The most sure way to get the correct parts for Ford tractors is by using the unit code rather than the chassis serial number. This is especially true for Basildon built units.
If the manufacturer determined by engine serial number that your tractor had a set of faulty pistons in it, or a crankshaft with improper oil galleys drilled in it, a product recall would benefit the end user.

How would anyone know if the engine was changed?
They may not, unless the unit code indicated a later build date for the engine than the final assembly (chassis) unit code. Or if the current engine is tagged as a BSD replacement engine.

/ Tractor Number vs. Engine number? #7  
What is a "Basildon built unit"?

Production from the Basildon, England factory 1965 and later. Typically have a 'B' prefix serial number as opposed to the 'C' prefix Michigan built Fords or the 'A' prefix (Antwerp) Belgian Fords; any of which can be found in North America.

/ Tractor Number vs. Engine number? #8  
Production from the Basildon, England factory 1965 and later. Typically have a 'B' prefix serial number as opposed to the 'C' prefix Michigan built Fords or the 'A' prefix (Antwerp) Belgian Fords; any of which can be found in North America.

Thanks,

I don't think you get told that enough for all the help you are.

I really value your posts and am constantly learning from them.