Veteran Member
    Tractor
    2000 New Holland TC29D with 7308 FEL, and top & tilt. 1950 John Deere B. 1940 Farmall A.

Default Engaging a post hole digger on a TC29D

I recently bought a post hole digger. I used it for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I used it to dig holes 6í apart to plant a row of trees (hopefully in 5 years or so Iíll have a nice natural fence). It worked nice and all, but I have one gripe about my TC29D in this situation. After I dug the first hole, I pushed the clutch in to stop the digger. Then I pushed the hydro pedal to move up to the next spot, but of course nothing happened. I had to push the clutch in, disengage the PTO, and let the clutch out so the hydro drive would work, then move up to the next spot, push the clutch in, engage the PTO, dig the hole, and repeat for each hole. I realize Iím getting spoiled to even be complaining about a hydrostat, and actually Iím not really complaining. Iím just wondering if this is what others would have expected. I do remember reading in the manual that pushing the clutch in will disengage the drive, but I just forgot.

So, now Iím wondering about how to engage the PTO. I have noticed that I donít need to use the clutch to engage or disengage the PTO if there is nothing attached Ė I can just move the lever forward and it engages with no grinding or anything. I wouldnít try this with a mower or tiller, but was wondering if this would work on a post hole digger. Since the tractor is barely above idle anyway (the manual for the digger says to only use low RPMS), it doesnít seem like it would shock anything to engage and disengage the PTO without pushing the clutch in. Opinions? Thanks.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC30 Hydro 4x4, Gravely Zero Turn Mower

Default Re: Engaging a post hole digger on a TC29D

Danny, I have noticed the same thing about my TC30 hydro 4x4. Seems that after you shell out the extra bucks to get the hydro they could at least leave the two stage clutch like on the gear drive model. Seems like a cost saving move that NH thought no one would notice or care about. A "D" model Boomer should have a two stage clutch in my opinion.
    Jerry

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    TC35D/16LA

mosey,

Am I missing something????

What exactly do you mean when you say you pushed in the clutch ? Do the Class II Boomers have a clutch with the hydrostatic transmission ?

My TC35D doesn't have one...at least I haven't found it yet ?? On mine, you just slide the lever forward to engage the PTO and back to disengage. It operates fully independent from the hydro drive. I can engage and disengage the PTO while stopped or moving.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    2000 New Holland TC29D with 7308 FEL, and top & tilt. 1950 John Deere B. 1940 Farmall A.

tc35dforme - From what you said they are different. My TC29D has a clutch that engages both the hydrostat drive and the PTO. The 3pt lift is independent and works no matter where the clutch is. Once the clutch is engaged, I can drive the tractor, go forward, reverse, stop, etc using the hydrostat pedal. But, if I push in the clutch, the tractor wonít move (under itís own power). It sounds like your TC35D uses a much different, and better, system.

Tractor
    NH TC21D

What you're describing is the difference between a "Live" PTO & an "Independent" PTO.

Based on my sales brochure, it looks like NH makes the transition to an independent system at the TC35. Everything smaller has a live system.

Veteran Member
    Tractor

Hereís the way I understand it then:

Live PTO allows you to stop the tractor without stopping the PTO, but you can not stop the PTO without stopping the tractor (not counting coasting).

Independent PTO allows you to stop the tractor without stopping the PTO, and it allows you to stop the PTO without stopping the tractor.

Iím overall satisfied with my ďlive PTOĒ. However, I am curious as to why I can engage the PTO when nothing is attached without anything grinding. There must be some sort of syncro mechanism in there, does anybody know for sure? I know I canít do anything of the sort on my old 1940 Farmall A or 1950 John deere B. If I try to engage the PTO without disengaging the clutch on either one of those even if nothing is attached, it will grind and not allow the PTO lever to engage.