Ballast Filling Tires

/ Filling Tires #1  

JimBinMI

Veteran Member
Tractor
2015 Kubota BX25D-1, New Holland TZ18DA
OK, I don't have the time right now to read all the archives but have a semi-quick question.

My NH salesman said that if I have my rear turf tires filled on my TC18, that I not only get better traction but I'll also get a better, smoother ride...not that it's bad now. Any comments?

Next, if he fills with calcium chloride he has to add tubes, then fill the tubes. If he fills them with some newer stuff, can't remember what he called it but it is thick stuff, a little thinner than molassas, won't freeze and can go right in the tubeless tire, pretty sure it is environmentally friendly too. Both tires filled with the newer stuff to 75% costs $100. I can take the tires only to him and he says I'll be able to handle them when full. Any comments?

Thanks, JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ Filling Tires #2  
Jim: I'd do it. Mine were filled when I bought it (TC33) w/ CaCl2. It was about $120. Everybody that I got a quote from (NH, JD, Kubota) around here quoted w/ Calcium. Although now that I think about it, one dealer mentioned that they were starting to fill w/ Beat Juice. If you can fill your tires for $100 w/ something non-corrosive and environmentally neutral, seems like a good choice. A smoother ride sounds a little funny to me though - should be stiffer. Do you actually get much bouncing now?

/ Filling Tires #3  
JimBinMI, I may be wrong, but I'm inclined to think that the difference in the smoothness of the ride will not be so negligible that you won't notice the difference. But naturally, it will help with more traction. I also don't know whether it's still there or not, but Carver had a very good explanation about ballast, different types, etc. on his web site.

Bird

/ Filling Tires #4  
I don't think it's filling the tires, it's the added weight. Load your pickup and then check the ride. Stiffer tires can't make it ride better. (or so I would think). What I'm waiting for (dreaming for) now that you can buy a bicycle with a suspension, why not a tractor, maybe one you could lock out if need be. I'm not necessarily talking about 12" of wheel spring travel, just something so you don't have to feel every pebble...

With all us tired back boomers (and older) buyers I would think it would be a seller.

/ Filling Tires #5  
That's what I want, del, preferably with an air ride suspension./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif And while it seems odd now, I'm betting someone will build one before very long (probably springs instead of air ride, of course).

Bird

/ Filling Tires #6  
I wonder would it really be useful (safe) to build a tractor with suspension? Imagine how the tractor would settle on its springs when you use the loader or ground engaging implements. Not that I wouldn't like a smoother ride... Even my Boomer (with a ton of seat travel) seems harsh to me.

/ Filling Tires
MikeH,

That's what he called the new stuff, "beat juice", do you know what it is?

I get some bouncing but my lawn's not the smoothest either...but it's not bad at all, salesman has said more than once that filling will smooth out the ride.

With your calcium did they install tubes, then fill the tubes? If so, that's more labor than just filling the tubeless with beat juice, so it sounds like you got a good price.

JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ Filling Tires
del,

I've got a '95 GMC Sierra, extended cab Z-71 (off-road) pick-up. Used it this summer to go to a motorcycle swap meet in Wauseon, OH with my brother, he had the parts for sale. We had an old cushman scooter and an old Coke cooler that had the flip up top that cools with water (heavy), the rest of the bed was filled with parts boxes and we were pulling his trailer with his '50 Harley with sidecar. That truck went smoother down the road (secondary highways on the way there, I-80/90 on the way back) than when it's empty! My brother kept commenting on how smooth it was and that he couldn't even hardly feel the trailer back there...the 5.7 liter has been a good motor and I've got 3.73 rear end gears...the point is that the ride was better with a load. Don't know if that works for all trucks but the Z-71's have the stiffer off-road suspension/springs/shocks.

JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ Filling Tires
Bird,

Thanks, I'll check it out!

JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!