3910 brutal PTO engagement

/ 3910 brutal PTO engagement #11  
As I previously posted, I believe your 3910 to have independent PTO. There is however a listing for a double clutch and live PTO in the parts catalog. There is no single clutch transmission PTO referenced. We can solve the mystery easily. Every three cylinder Ford with either live (two stage clutch) or transmission driven PTO has the PTO shifter shaft supported by and run through an inspection cover on the left hand side of the rear axle center section. Every three cylinder Ford tractor with independent PTO (except those with Selecto-Speed transmission) has the PTO shifter shaft supported by a machined bore directly through the rear axle center section housing itself, well above the left hand inspection cover. A casual look will tell the tale.

/ 3910 brutal PTO engagement #12  
Independent pto:

Attachments

• 4610 004.jpg
    4610 004.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 5,627
   / 3910 brutal PTO engagement #13  
Independent pto:

Dudley,

Man sorry for your misfortune:(, I have not heard about your problem and thought you got it solved.

JC,

/ 3910 brutal PTO engagement #14  
Dudley, Man sorry for your misfortune:(, I have not heard about your problem and thought you got it solved. JC,

I got my lift problem solved and learned a lot doing it and shortly after the pto went out. I decided that as much as I like Fords, this one was not for me.

/ 3910 brutal PTO engagement
As I previously posted, I believe your 3910 to have independent PTO. There is however a listing for a double clutch and live PTO in the parts catalog. There is no single clutch transmission PTO referenced. We can solve the mystery easily. Every three cylinder Ford with either live (two stage clutch) or transmission driven PTO has the PTO shifter shaft supported by and run through an inspection cover on the left hand side of the rear axle center section. Every three cylinder Ford tractor with independent PTO (except those with Selecto-Speed transmission) has the PTO shifter shaft supported by a machined bore directly through the rear axle center section housing itself, well above the left hand inspection cover. A casual look will tell the tale.

Here's my selector, does that mean it's independent?...If so is there a clutch in there that I can inspect?

Not sure what you mean by Selecto-Speed. My transmission is 8-speed synchromesh (operated by steering column levers).

Attachments

• DSC_0003.JPG
    DSC_0003.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 367
   / 3910 brutal PTO engagement #16  
Here's my selector, does that mean it's independent?...If so is there a clutch in there that I can inspect?

Not sure what you mean by Selecto-Speed. My transmission is 8-speed synchromesh (operated by steering column levers).

You have independent PTO. There is a hydraulically actuated multiple wet disc clutch in the rear axle center section. You can split the tractor between the rear axle center section and transmission, but it's not likely you will find anything wrong, or be able to do anything to modulate the clutch engagement. Lubricating the external linkage pivots so the control operates smoothly and easily, and learning to feather the engagement as I suggested in my first post will do just about all the good that can be done.

A Selecto-Speed transmission was an option available prior to 1975. I included the reference in my post because the PTO shifter location is relevant to all 3 cylinder Ford tractors, and also to prevent the need of another poster from correcting my error of omission. 3 cylinder Selecto-Speed tractors had a cable operated PTO.

Many thanks. That explains a lot. Feathering the clutch still seems like an impossible challenge but at least I know it is normal.

Duncan

/ 3910 brutal PTO engagement #18  
To be clear.. Rick is not talking about feathering the foot clutch.. but rather feathering in the pto handle.

both my ford 5000 and NH7610s have that hyd actuated, independent pto... With a 10' and 15' mower on them it is vital to engage the pto as easilyl as possible or there is alot of shaking and banging. i also try to use the lowest engine speed ( as previously stated ) to get the pto turning without the engine stalling.

soundguy

Yeah, I realised that. And I always engage it a at low idle.
The difficulty is that (unlike a transmission clutch) there seems to be no 'feel' what so ever. I can't tell I have reached a point of bite until BANG; it comes in like a switch being turned on. Really difficult to feather.

This isn't helped by the fact the clutch doesn't appear to be sprung. On a normal transmission clutch a spring holds the plates together. The hydraulics are only used one way - to part it. By contrast, on the PTO clutch there is no resistance to lever movement at all. I assume the hydraulics are two way. Is this right?

Duncan

/ 3910 brutal PTO engagement #20  
Hydraulic pressure moves the piston to compress the clutch pack when the PTO engages. A spring returns the piston as the pressure decreases when the shifter is moved to the off position.