3910 brutal PTO engagement

/ 3910 brutal PTO engagement #21  
Considering it is a valve you are moving to provide hyd pressure.. you will need to observe where the engagement occurs, after a small lag, and then maybee mark it so you will always know where it is.

here's a pic of a 5000 pto valve setup.

soundguy

Yeah, I realised that. And I always engage it a at low idle.
The difficulty is that (unlike a transmission clutch) there seems to be no 'feel' what so ever. I can't tell I have reached a point of bite until BANG; it comes in like a switch being turned on. Really difficult to feather.

This isn't helped by the fact the clutch doesn't appear to be sprung. On a normal transmission clutch a spring holds the plates together. The hydraulics are only used one way - to part it. By contrast, on the PTO clutch there is no resistance to lever movement at all. I assume the hydraulics are two way. Is this right?

Duncan

Attachments

• ptovalve.gif
    ptovalve.gif
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,576
   / 3910 brutal PTO engagement #22  
Hydraulic pressure moves the piston to compress the clutch pack when the PTO engages. A spring returns the piston as the pressure decreases when the shifter is moved to the off position.

Rick didn't Ford come out with a little bracket on 3930's that had a long thread screw and a tang built(mounted on the lift top bolts on the left front side) on it that you could adjust the tang to the feather position and then move the lever into full power----had a problem with a few customers wanting to run it in the feather position and prematurely burning out the clutches. He could get one of those brackets and mount on the 3910 so he would know where feather and full engage is. I think they started using those brackets when they went to mounting the PTO safety switch that would not let the tractor crank unless the PTO was turned off.

/ 3910 brutal PTO engagement #23  
Rick didn't Ford come out with a little bracket on 3930's that had a long thread screw and a tang built(mounted on the lift top bolts on the left front side) on it that you could adjust the tang to the feather position and then move the lever into full power----had a problem with a few customers wanting to run it in the feather position and prematurely burning out the clutches. He could get one of those brackets and mount on the 3910 so he would know where feather and full engage is. I think they started using those brackets when they went to mounting the PTO safety switch that would not let the tractor crank unless the PTO was turned off.

I think one of the photos posted shows the 3910 to be a cab tractor with different linkage (which is likely part of the problem). Otherwise, yours could be a good idea.