blowing fuse #5

/ blowing fuse #5 #1  

Lone Oak Landscaping

Silver Member
Tractor
NewHolland TC40DA
TC40DA Still blowing fuse #5 even after I switched it from the 7.5 to the 10 like I read here .
When I use the cruise for about 5-10 min. the fuse pops and the battery light goes on in the dash, rabbit - turtle switch goes to turtle.

Change fuse and it is fine untill I run the cruise for a few ninutes then pop goes the fuse, anyone know what gives or has a cure for the problem ?

Only about 50 hrs on the machine .
thanks for the help.

/ blowing fuse #5 #2  
You have named the three things that fuse #5 powers: Alternator excitation, cruise control, and rabbit/turtle solenoid. Since the fuse only blows when cruise is engaged, I'm going to say that is the source of your problem. It's either a bad cruise magnet or one of the leads to the magnet is damaged and intermittenly shorting to ground. Either of those could cause the exact symptoms you are having.

It's likely that the cruise control switch on the fender is fine, especially if the cruise works properly for a few seconds before blowing the fuse. The other components of the circuit are the cruise control relay and a hold-in (latch) diode. Again, if the cruise function works properly for a few seconds, then these parts are probably working just fine.

My guess is that a wire may have been pinched going to the magnet or the magnet is faulty. You can disconnect the magnet under the right side of the operator's platform, but it is a very tight spot and you really need to know what you are doing. With the magnet disconnected, you can use a VOM to check the resistance of the coil. It should be 11 to 12 ohms. If you do the math, 12 vdc through 12 ohms is 1 amp. That's what the magnet is supposed to draw.

Since you are near 50 hours, I think you should ask your dealer to replace your magnet or at least check it out at the 50 hr service check.

For my money, I'd bet the magnet is faulty and drawing too much current. That sure seems the way it works from your description. It could be an intermittent short, but most likely the magnet is faulty. If it is replaced, I'd suspect your problem will go away. Good luck!:)

Last edited:
   / blowing fuse #5
I gave her a quick once over just to check for anything obvious like a pinched wire or something disconected.
Now she pops the fuse as soon as I hit the switch ( no cruise at all ).
Let y'all know what happens after I get it to the dealer.

/ blowing fuse #5
Well , the dealer is going to pick her up first thing tomorrow morning..... Let y'all know what they say the problem was soon as she comes back

/ blowing fuse #5
Just got off the phone with the dealer... The problem on fuse #5 was a pinched wire that was shorting out the cruise controll they said.
I am just glad to have it fixed and real happy with my local daeler.

THANKS for all the help gang, I think I will still keep using a 10amp fuse on the TC40DA instead of a 7.5 amp , like was suggested here.

It won't hurt anything will it ? ?
Thank you in advance , John -LONE OAK Landscaping-

/ blowing fuse #5
Tried to post edit but didn't work , Almost forgot to say special thanks to Jinman because he figured it out again.
We are lucky to have you pal only hope to return the favor some day , take it easy gang. John

/ blowing fuse #5 #8  
Tried to post edit but didn't work , Almost forgot to say special thanks to Jinman because he figured it out again.
We are lucky to have you pal only hope to return the favor some day , take it easy gang. John

Careful, my wife just made me a new hat and it may not fit.:eek:

Thanks for the kudo.:)

/ blowing fuse #5
Dragging the brush hog through an old pasture for a customer today nice and slow with the cruise on and it stopped working again.
After a few curse words I kept on mowing and tried the cruise again and it worked for a while then quit again.
I found the problem was the plug that goes over the top of the transmision must have hung upon some brush and was still connected but not plugged in all the way untill it locks, it is a pain to reach the plug and not alot of play in the wires that go to it but just something to check if your cruise goes out .

Another thing to remember is it will not work if the E- brake is on ,or just up a click or two after you put it down to release it, not that I WOULD EVER DO THAT : ) . or at least hate to admit that I been there done that - cause I have more than once.
Just something to check thats all folks........Lone Oak