cold weather help!!!!

/ cold weather help!!!! #1  

97redford

I've owned a 1320 for about 6 months and now that its cold out (teens), it is pretty slow to start. The glowplug light on the dash doesn't light up, so I'm wondering how to check the indicator light and the glowplug. Any help???

/ cold weather help!!!! #3  
Weight of oil.
Bob

/ cold weather help!!!! #4  
Covered? Cold storage?
Bob

/ cold weather help!!!!
Tractor is under cover but in the cold. The battery is good. I keep coming back to the glowplugs but need some advise.

/ cold weather help!!!! #6  
You could have a burned out indicator lamp, or a bad ground to it.

I do not know your tractor, but I can tell you how I checked the glowplugs on my tractor (MF1010). I removed each glowplug, and checked to see if they would heat by attaching a battery charger to each one. Not very scientific, granted, but I could see them glow orange easily enough. I laid each plug across a metal trailer jack, clamped the negative cable from the charger to the same jack, clamped the positive cable to the top of the glow plug, then stepped back and plugged in the charger. After about 10 seconds, they got very hot.

You can check the resistance of your glowplugs as well, but I do not know the value for your tractor.

Another trick you can try is to get an infrared thermometer (Harbor Freight I think), hit the glow plug switch and aim the thermometer at each cylinder in turn. You might see the temperature rise around the glow plug base.

Good luck with it.

/ cold weather help!!!! #7  
Do a search on this forum for glowplugs it has been discussed alot.
Bill

/ cold weather help!!!! #9  
I've owned a 1320 for about 6 months and now that its cold out (teens), it is pretty slow to start.

Slow to start means turns over briskly but fails to start?
Bob

/ cold weather help!!!!
I wouldn't say turns over briskly, but steadily.